Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club/Course Recommendations

Options
  • 16-08-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi All

Been playing on and off the range and small par 3's for a while. Only back properly playing after a 3-year gap (arrival of kids and all that grown-up stuff).

Anyway, I am living in Sallins and am wondering what clubs you'd recommend. I'd still class myself as a newbie. Never been a member anywhere before, never held a GUI and only been on a full-size course once in my life lol.

I'd be looking for somewhere that is quiet enough that I wouldn't be holding up play if I was bad enough on a given day, and somewhere that is tolerant of newbies. Now I will say that my swing is pretty decent and is just missing consistency for the most part, so, I'm not a total newbie in the literal sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leinstergolf

gonko wrote: »
    Hi All

Been playing on and off the range and small par 3's for a while. Only back properly playing after a 3-year gap (arrival of kids and all that grown-up stuff).

Anyway, I am living in Sallins and am wondering what clubs you'd recommend. I'd still class myself as a newbie. Never been a member anywhere before, never held a GUI and only been on a full-size course once in my life lol.

I'd be looking for somewhere that is quiet enough that I wouldn't be holding up play if I was bad enough on a given day, and somewhere that is tolerant of newbies. Now I will say that my swing is pretty decent and is just missing consistency for the most part, so, I'm not a total newbie in the literal sense.

Have a look a Millicent (outside Clane). Played it recently and it has really improved. Plenty of special offers for new members too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Long Turn

Have a look at Castlewarden. They have a great driving range which is great for lessons and new golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Have a look a Millicent (outside Clane). Played it recently and it has really improved. Plenty of special offers for new members too.

Millicent is a lovely course. I'm a member of Kilcock which is close enough to you. Great course and the club are welcoming and very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Lovely courses around there. Naas, Palmerstown, Castlewarden and Croddockstown I have played and enjoyed. Kileen would be my pick though, lovely spot.

I am more interested in what it's like to live in Sallins!! May be moving there. You like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Have a look at Rathcore also - they have flexi memberships for people who cant play every weekend which might suit you.

Loads and loads of courses around Sallins area:

Millicent
    Killeen
    Kilcock
    Naas
    Craddockstown
    Castlewarden
    Smurfit
    Palmerstown
    Rathcore
    Moyvalley
    Dunmurray
    Newbridge
    Curragh
    Carton House

Etc. etc. etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Moyvalley would be me pick.

Pretty cheap membership for a fantastic course and wide open so you can flail quite a bit.

Rathcore is not an easy course with some quality shots needed to finish a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

davegilly wrote: »
    Have a look at Rathcore also - they have flexi memberships for people who cant play every weekend which might suit you.

Loads and loads of courses around Sallins area:

Millicent
    Killeen
    Kilcock
    Naas
    Craddockstown
    Castlewarden
    Smurfit
    Palmerstown
    Rathcore
    Moyvalley
    Dunmurray
    Newbridge
    Curragh
    Carton House

Etc. etc. etc

not really answering the OP's question though are you, just listing all the courses you can in the vicinity

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Moyvalley would be me pick.

Pretty cheap membership for a fantastic course and wide open so you can flail quite a bit.

Rathcore is not an easy course with some quality shots needed to finish a hole.
    Been a good while since I played Moyvalley, but from memory, not really somewhere I would send beginners.
    eoghan104 wrote: »
    Lovely courses around there. Naas, Palmerstown, Castlewarden and Croddockstown I have played and enjoyed. Kileen would be my pick though, lovely spot.

I am more interested in what it's like to live in Sallins!! May be moving there. You like it?

Agree, Killeen is a good call here. A flat and reasonably forgiving course. A little bit of a challenge on the water holes, but you can't really just head for an open field all the time. I know a good few members here and play it quite a bit. It is not my favourite course by any stretch, but it is well maintained, good value, a great option for beginners, improvers and best of all, it does seem to have a good club atmosphere. It is local to the OP.

Other option to hone your game for a while might be Citywest. Probably not a great club, but a good alternative to get your game in gear for a year or so before moving on to a better club.

I would go with Killeen though if I were you. If you get your game in gear, Naas a much better course.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Seve OB wrote: »
    not really answering the OP's question though are you, just listing all the courses you can in the vicinity
    It's a more helpful post than what you have added to the thread. Thanks for your insight though.

davegilly wrote: »
    It's a more helpful post than what you have added to the thread. Thanks for your insight though.

oh really???

maybe you should take a look at the post just above :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Somewhere like Kilkea Castle would suit as its quiet. But it’s about 30 minutes away.

Advertisement