Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Abarth import from the North to the South

Options
  • 15-08-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a new Abarth from Northern Ireland, Has anyone done this or know someone that has?

Is it worth it, looking at the basic model priced at 14,500 pounds. VRT on top of that at €3500.

My main concern is the support once I am here, there is a large warranty with the dealer but will Fiat dealers in the south be able to support me?

Have any of you owners had any major issues with the vehicle? I presume with a new car there won’t be much?

How was your insurance costs?

Any other advice? I’m a car novice.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

importfrom wrote: »

My main concern is the support once I am here, there is a large warranty with the dealer but will Fiat dealers in the south be able to support me?

Fiat dealers down here aren't Abarth dealers and so any warranty issues will have to be dealt with up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 importfrom

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Fiat dealers down here aren't Abarth dealers and so any warranty issues will have to be dealt with up North.
    Thanks, didn’t make that clear sorry, what I meant is, if I have a problem not covered by warranty or just need a service, can I bring it to a fiat garage? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Don’t forget vat too. As it will be a new car. Needs to be 6 months old and have 6,000km

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Don’t forget vat too. As it will be a new car. Needs to be 6 months old and have 6,000km
    Thanks, the garage said that I pay the tax in the UK included in the price and once I pay the tax in Ireland they refund me the UK tax amount. How much will that be around do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks, the garage said that I pay the tax in the UK included in the price and once I pay the tax in Ireland they refund me the UK tax amount. How much will that be around do you know?
    23%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks, didn’t make that clear sorry, what I meant is, if I have a problem not covered by warranty or just need a service, can I bring it to a fiat garage? Thanks.

Yeah of course you can. However some parts are abarth specific and a normal fiat dealer won't be able to order them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can buy UK VAT free for export. Easier to just pay Irish VAT and not reclaim from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I realise you are new around here but if you do buy one please post some pics.
    If you do...I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.**

**I wont really, Ill just be a bit sad.

124 or 500?
    BTW - there are other ones about, I doubt they all have to go north if anything goes bang.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I realise you are new around here but if you do buy one please post some pics.
    If you do...I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.**

**I wont really, Ill just be a bit sad.

124 or 500?
    BTW - there are other ones about, I doubt they all have to go north if anything goes bang.
    :-)

Going to go with the basic 500 Abarth, can’t afford any of the amazing extras. I know I just feel like I’d love to speak to someone who has one in Ireland as I literally can’t find any! I’m in Kerry as well so a trip north is a long way away. Have you heard anything of interest about them? Thanks

RobAMerc wrote: »

124 or 500?

Believe me they do for warranty work. I was in a Fiat dealer for over 7 years and all the Abarths that needed warranty work had to go up North for it.
    In most cases for servicing etc a standard Fiat dealer could do the work. But some of the Abarths have different brake pads /discs,different filters etc that couldn't be ordered by a non abarth dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Believe me they do for warranty work. I was in a Fiat dealer for over 7 years and all the Abarths that needed warranty work had to go up North for it.
    In most cases for servicing etc a standard Fiat dealer could do the work. But some of the Abarths have different brake pads /discs,different filters etc that couldn't be ordered by a non abarth dealer.

They take different engine oil too which is not available to non Abarth Fiat dealers through the parts network. So I'd be wary of getting it serviced with a regular Fiat delaer without providing the oil.

VeVeX wrote: »
    They take different engine oil too which is not available to non Abarth Fiat dealers through the parts network. So I'd be wary of getting it serviced with a regular Fiat delaer without providing the oil.
    Jesus that sounds like so much hassle. My local fiat garage said they could service it so must check that with them. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Just curious, but what Fiat Dealer ?

swarlb wrote: »
    Just curious, but what Fiat Dealer ?

Id prefer not to say to be honest.

Id prefer not to say to be honest.

Not a problem. I've been involved with Fiat dealership for over 40 years, it's possible for any dealership to supply any part depending on franchise, be it Alfa, Abarth, Lancia etc.. Jeep and Chrysler the exception, but possible. It's down to the will of the parts manager. Some simply have no interest.

Not a problem. I've been involved with Fiat dealership for over 40 years, it's possible for any dealership to supply any part depending on franchise, be it Alfa, Abarth, Lancia etc.. Jeep and Chrysler the exception, but possible. It's down to the will of the parts manager. Some simply have no interest.

Well from my experience you get a message saying that you are not allowed to order as you dont have that brand in your list of brands you can order.Cant remember the exact wording of it as Im gone over a year now.

Well from my experience you get a message saying that you are not allowed to order as you dont have that brand in your list of brands you can order.Cant remember the exact wording of it as Im gone over a year now.

Exactly, you simply ask to include the brand. As I said, it's down to the will of the parts manager.

Exactly, you simply ask to include the brand. As I said, it's down to the will of the parts manager.

Its not that simple.

I remember requesting adding Jeep/chrysler /Abarth / Lancia to our list and was refused by Fiat ireland.There were no dealers in the area for the brands I requested but we were constantly getting requests for parts for these brands.

We would have had to meet the dealer standards for each and all added brands.

I fought with them for years to try and sell more parts for them.

I find it hard to believe that Fiat would just automatically add any brand that a dealer requested without meeting these dealer standards.

But yeah if it worked for you then fair play to you but I got no where in 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If it’s a new car, the NI dealer should be able to sell it to you VAT free at source. There’s a form to fill out which makes the responsibility yours and the car is put on temporary UK export plates rather than normal ones.

Its not that simple.

I remember requesting adding Jeep/chrysler /Abarth / Lancia to our list and was refused by Fiat ireland.There were no dealers in the area for the brands I requested but we were constantly getting requests for parts for these brands.

I find it hard to believe that Fiat would just automatically add any brand that a dealer requested without meeting these dealer standards.

But yeah if it worked for you then fair play to you but I got no where in 7 years.

I understand what you say. It largely depends I suppose on the dealership in question, how long they've been a dealership, and the volume of parts they sell, and the relationship they have with Fiat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Its not that simple.

No wonder their market share is in the toilet if that's their attitude to providing parts and service!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have definitely seen a few Abarth 500s about but all secondhand imports I'd imagine. Shame, such fun little rockets they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

road_high wrote: »
    Have definitely seen a few Abarth 500s about but all secondhand imports I'd imagine. Shame, such fun little rockets they are.

I saw one four or five years ago, owned by a lad with a coffee shop in Howth. It was not an import, I think it was the Fiat dealer in Swords who supplied it. Nice car for 25k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Beshoffs had one or two Abrath 500 for sale recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

If you look at the FIAT Ireland website, it advertises many 500 variants but no Abarth.

Really odd considering how well the MINI Cooper S has sold in the south that FIAT doesn't offer it here.

Advertisement