Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do for my debs/grads (not really sure what its called for guys)

Options
  • 15-08-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So, this is a pretty embarrassing topic to talk about but here goes nothing.

I'm just heading into 6th year, and I attend a boys only secondary school and being kinds of an introvert I never really got into texting therefore I haven't really talked to girls, plus me being insecure about basically everything I do was just the cherry on top. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an incel or anything like that, I've made plenty of friends, I'm just a bit awkward. Another thing that didn't help was my parents essentially forcing me to skip TY, because I spent the whole year getting to know the people in my year. My point being; I'm basically ****ed for the debs/grads because I'm 90% sure I wont get a date for it and my parents are expecting me to... It's gonna be really awkward telling them about it and it's also going to be very embarrassing towards my friends since I'm going to be one of the only few there on my own. If anyone's got any advice, it would be very much welcome. I just needed to vent a bit!

P.S: no I'm not gay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

1 just go on your own and try your best to enjoy talking to people.

2 ask your friends to send the word out to their dates. Every girl going will know a few other girls who want to go too. Treat her well, be a gent. Think of stuff to talk about in advance and have some fun. Don't get too drunk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So, this is a pretty embarrassing topic to talk about but here goes nothing.
    Not really, plenty of guys / girls each year don't have a "readymade" date for Debs, it's far from unusual.

Chancer's advice is good (despite the name :D) .... it's quite possible that one of your mate's dates has a pal who would like to go because she knows a lot of the group anyway. No need to make a big deal about it (coz it's not!), just casually say "don't have a date fixed up as yet, anyone know any girl might like to go?"

Nothing wrong with going on your own either, but I get a sense you would prefer to be more "traditional".
    P.S: no I'm not gay
    Dear lord, why would the fact that you don't have a date for the Debs make you gay??!!! :D:D

Being straight, bi or gay is about what way your compass points when you get horny, not about whether you're shy or outgoing or know loads of girls who might like to go with you to the Debs! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Just go on your own m8 its more common nowadays, no one will care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CfJr

I didn't go to my debs, although a few of my mates did.
    They met a few people there and had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going alone, I'm going without a date but with a huge group of guys, who also don't have dates.

I heard that at last year's debs in my old school, half the people showed up without dates anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement