Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting tv on wall- calculated height seems too high

Options
  • 15-08-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Mounting tv this weekend and setting up the surround sound system.
    From website calculations the bottom of the tv should be 60 inches from the ground. I marked out the tv position on the wall and it seems extremely high.

I'm presuming it's based on research and for best comfort but, again, it seems very high.

What are people's thoughts please? Would you just play around and mount it at whatever height seems right to you? I want to do it right, not mount and after a few weeks realize it's at a bad height.

(it's funny- when you have a cabinet to sit it on you never consider the height)

Your TV Size is: 46inches
    Your Eye Level Height from the Floor: 41inches
    Your Viewing Distance from Tv is: 144inches
    Your TV Mounting Height to the Middle of the TV: 72.68inches (tv is 24 inches tall)

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

I would have thought between 2 and 2.5 feet (24 - 30 inches). 5 feet is very high... houzz seems to agree with me

https://www.houzz.ie/ideabooks/88951880/list/how-high-should-your-tv-be?irs=US

I remember wall mounting a tv over my fireplace before probably about 4 feet and it was too high for watching from a sofa. Had to rethink it after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

com1 wrote: »
    I would have thought between 2 and 2.5 feet (24 - 30 inches). 5 feet is very high... houzz seems to agree with me

https://www.houzz.ie/ideabooks/88951880/list/how-high-should-your-tv-be?irs=US

Thanks. At that height I might just go with a cabinet instead. Makes it much easier with no need to hide cables in the wall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Generally,pick a spot on the wall when sitting down on your sofa or chair that you normally use to watch TV. If you can look at it comfortably without any strain on your neck or back then use that spot as the centre of the screen.
    I see people with TVs mounted over fireplaces and the only way to look at them comfortably is to stand up.
    It's not scientific but remember, you'll be the one watching it and no point having it too high so it makes it uncomfortable for you to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Wow, tv stands are a lot more expensive that I'd imagined- e.g. this in Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dinneenp wrote: »
    Wow, tv stands are a lot more expensive that I'd imagined- e.g. this in Currys

Try done deal or adverts. People buy them then decide to hang the TV on a wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement