Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

37 and want to learn the piano

Options
  • 15-08-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I'm 37 years old. Love music - from classical to techno - but can't play one single instrument. Has bothered me for years so I told the wife last night that I'd love to learn the piano.

And she said just go for it.

So from nowhere - what's my next move. I can't even read sheet music so that has to happen at some stage as well.

Obviously I'm not going to run down to the music store and come home with a brand new vertical piano. Are digital pianos the best place to start? Although I see real pianos almost being given away on adverts... But whatever I practice on has to go up to the loft so a real piano seems unrealistic...

Are there preferred more proven ways of learning sheet music?

I'm really in the dark here but I'm on 37 - I've a lot of years left in me.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Get some lessons first. See if you like it. A cheap keyboard will let you do your homework, and you can decide if you like it enough to spend more money on a better piano

• Administrators Posts: 13,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Google piano teachers in your area, and ring around. They will teach you how to read music. 37 isn't old. I know an 84 year old lady who started learning piano 2 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

feylya wrote: »
    Get some lessons first. See if you like it. A cheap keyboard will let you do your homework, and you can decide if you like it enough to spend more money on a better piano

at the very least you'd need something with full size keyboard, full size keys and weighted keys which take you outside the realm of "cheap"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

loyatemu wrote: »
    at the very least you'd need something with full size keyboard, full size keys and weighted keys which take you outside the realm of "cheap"

Hardly need weighted keys to do scales and see if you enjoy playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,624 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Playing the piano would be cool. Learn from a sexy teacher with a great body, will inspire you to impress her, will help a lot when learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Playing the piano would be cool. Learn from a sexy teacher with a great body, will inspire you to impress her, will help a lot when learning.

This is great advice.

I started learning piano 6 months ago at the age of 40. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years but no formal training and cannot read music. I've learnt more about music theory in the last 6 months than the preceding 20 years playing guitar.

Piano is the most majestic instrument in my opinion. The possibilities are endless.

I say go for it. You need a plan though so get a teacher and commit to dedicating a min of 20 mins per day practicing. More if you can.

My routine is as follows:

* Theory and scales - this is essential. Scales are boring but they help you build muscle memory.
    * Practice classical pieces
    * Practice pieces I like (learning a lot of Einaudi)

I'd also recommend getting the Hanon virtuoso book and start at lesson one.

I have come a long way in 6 months and I'm pleased with my progress but I have high expectations with my goal to be able to play to the below standard:

Hoping to take grade one exam after xmas.

Learn to play the piano, invest in your dreams. It will take time but the time will pass anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sheet music is easy by the way - loads of stuff on youtube explain this.

I print out pieces I want to learn and fully transcribe the notes as practice for reading music.

Different keys are a bit tricky but you get used to it.

Advertisement