Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical Dublin-Derry train journey times?

Options
  • 15-08-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just dreaming here.

If there was a united Ireland, and a train service operated Dublin-Derry, what might the journey times be like?

I assume stops in Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Coleraine, and maybe more?

I also assume using the section by Aldergrove airport.

Has this type of service ever run before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Geuze wrote: »
    what might the journey times be like?
    Assuming no changes to infrastructure, two hours Dublin Belfast, two hours Belfast-Derry, total four hours
    I also assume using the section by Aldergrove airport.
    Likely not as much of a saving as you think, if any, given that it is single track and likely to have lower speeds.
    I assume stops in Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Coleraine, and maybe more?
    No. You would need to cut the number of stops substantially - let local trains serve the local stations and let the long-distance trains serve a select few. Serving every station would lose you time and passengers.
    Has this type of service ever run before?
    Dublin-Derry used to run Dublin-Portadown-Omagh-Derry, but I'm not aware of any service that ran after Portadown-Derry closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Geuze wrote: »
    If there was a united Ireland, and a train service operated Dublin-Derry, what might the journey times be like?

There's a cross border service already, don't see why the country has to be 'united' to run another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Change at Belfast Central (or whatever its called now)

Both Irish Rail and Translink can sell through tickets from any station to any station

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

OP If there was a United Ireland the powers that be would built an 8 lane motorway from Dublin to Derry rather than spend a red cent on the railway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Both Irish Rail and Translink can sell through tickets from any station to any station

Ironic that its not central at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

gwalk wrote: »

Bit of an urban myth - it's a very short walk/free bus trip to the heart of the city.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gwalk wrote: »
    It got its name from the Belfast Central Railway, rather than its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

OP, to give you an idea of times there's a Derry-Dublin special on the 26th (calling at Ballarena, Castlerock, Coleraine, Ballymoney, Cullybackey, Ballymena, Antrim, Lanyon Place and Dublin) which will take 3 hours 52 minutes, same for the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There is a Derry-Connolly special on 26th of August with a journey time of 3h52m calling at 7 points.

Edit - Great Timing GM228.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Translink are running a Derry to Dublin return service for the Pope's visit. Plenty of stops so not particularly quick.

http://www.translink.co.uk/Mobile_Home/fares-tickets/concert-event-travel/pope-in-ireland/rail-services/

EDIT: 3 replies at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Lanyon Place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

There's a cross border service already, don't see why the country has to be 'united' to run another.

Yeah. I can see how the North West being patronised by Ayn Randians will make a United Ireland a resounding success. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

GM228 wrote: »
    OP, to give you an idea of times there's a Derry-Dublin special on the 26th (calling at Ballarena, Castlerock, Coleraine, Ballymoney, Cullybackey, Ballymena, Antrim, Lanyon Place and Dublin) which will take 3 hours 52 minutes, same for the return journey.

That train's running non-stop between Antrim and Dublin - I wonder if it'll use the no longer in use but still maintained Antrim-Lisburn line and avoid Belfast altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

danm14 wrote: »
    That train's running non-stop between Antrim and Dublin - I wonder if it'll use the no longer in use but still maintained Antrim-Lisburn line and avoid Belfast altogether?

No via Central with a 5 minute stop (likely driver change).

Advertisement