Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

Options
  • 15-08-2018 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm looking for a little advice please.

My wife was involved in a little tip yesterday. Small amount of damage done to the other car, he's come back with a quote of €450 for repair. Her car needs at a minimum a new headlight and possibly a new bumper, there's a hole in hers.

He wants to go ahead and get the repair done without insurance but I reckon our repair will be costly enough (it's a 2011 A4)

Can we just go ahead and pay him to get his repair done and claim our repair on the insurance but then how do we stand if he ever decides to claim for injury?

First time dealing with anything like this so thanks and sorry if some of it is really obvious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you give him cash now there is no stopping him from making a claim anyway.
    Only use cash if you 100% trust it won't come back to bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

If you are going to claim for your own car you might as well claim for the lot, covers your arse in the event the other party does put in a pi claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you pay him, you're admitting liability, which is a breach of your policy conditions. The other party then has up to 2 years to indicate their intention to claim for injuries.

Report it to your insurers

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lightscribe

Thanks for the advice. We've decided to leave it with the insurance to sort out.

He was a complete p***k to her and really intimidating immediately afterwards, even with our young child in the car so let him wait now for the repair.

Advertisement