Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Results 2018 Breakdown Grade/Subject

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They probably sent it as a media release. I would imagine it will be on once the poor soul whose job it is to update the site gets in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I don't know why the Irish times is entitled to it first though.
    Examinations.ie has another press release that was automatically set to go live this morning https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-PR-3911104.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Created a spreadsheet for graph/visual comparisons of the grade bands if anyone is interested

Be interested to see if anyone thinks that perhaps the SEC are turning a little political with approximate bell curves for almost every subject except the sciences.... The difference is pretty stark and the Dept are pushing the sciences hard.
    (Note: There are exceptions in some subjects particularly the smaller cohorts e.g. Accounting but the three sciences seem to be clearest skews and are all virtually the same structure)

I'm not sure how to embed posts but here's some of the graphs
    https://imgur.com/a/NmrekTo

And then the sciences!
    https://imgur.com/a/696mQA5

Here you go, the graphs speak for themselves.

458436.JPG
    Non_Science.JPG

458437.JPG
    Science.JPG

458438.JPG
    Shenanigans.JPG

• Advertisement

And then things like this happens.
    458562.jpg

Well there was is that doubling of the H1 grades in biology which would have put 1600 odd extra students up 12 points on what they would have gotten in 2017

Biology H1s 2018 2999.359
    Biology H1s 2017 1360.884
    Increase in H1s 1638.475

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The percentage of students attaining the top grade in English matches the Distinction award at Junior Cycle. I have a feeling some students looking for 600-625 may avoid English if this trend continues. This is worsened when markers have to follow the bell curve every 50 scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

As in they'll choose ordinary level English or order to study subjects that more inclined to give better grades?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    As in they'll choose ordinary level English or order to study subjects that more inclined to give better grades?

Yes, students deciding to drop. I know this might seem unthinkable but I have already seen it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It definitely happens, know 2 kids that decided at the start of 5th year that English was going to be their 7th subject and they didn't end up using it for points. Both were 600+ students. They did stick with Hons but didn't put much into it. Decided Maths/Science were more predictable and so easier to get top points in.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The percentage of students attaining the top grade in English matches the Distinction award at Junior Cycle. I have a feeling some students looking for 600-625 may avoid English if this trend continues. This is worsened when markers have to follow the bell curve every 50 scripts.

I don't think you could get a bell curve every 50!

I mean as in adhering to the statistics. If you are in the first 100, there is a good chance you may be moved down if there are a lot of A's (H1's) in the class in contrast with the last 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

English examiners correct pairs of papers (Paper 1 and 2 for same student) I think, so give their results in 50s rather than 100s.

Advertisement