Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of direct options to city in mornings

Options
  • 14-08-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

General musing after reading the dublin coach portlaoise etc thread.

I looked at some private offerings from your commuter towns for the city. Surely with the the city bursting at the seams for traffic, there is enough demand to fill at least 1 non stop bus for each commuter town to get people into city for your 8ams and 9ams of this world without needing to stop in the other hamlets along the way.

1 non stop direct bus per commuter town upto 50 miles radius out...i personally think it's feasible. And more would use it with the better journey times.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Doesn't Bus Eireann do that? And Irish rail on some services (Portlaoise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I looked at some private offerings from your commuter towns for the city. Surely with the the city bursting at the seams for traffic, there is enough demand to fill at least 1 non stop bus to get people into city for your 8ams and 9ams of this world without needing to stop in the other hamlets along the way.

1 direct bus per commuter town upto 50 miles radius out...i personally think it's feasible. And more would use it with the better journey times.

Opinions?

I love being snarled up in traffic. I can admire the city in detail, and teaches the Tao of Patience to those with whom I am supposed to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I looked at some private offerings from your commuter towns for the city. Surely with the the city bursting at the seams for traffic, there is enough demand to fill at least 1 non stop bus to get people into city for your 8ams and 9ams of this world without needing to stop in the other hamlets along the way.

1 direct bus per commuter town upto 50 miles radius out...i personally think it's feasible. And more would use it with the better journey times.

Opinions?

Can you identify some of these towns with decent populations within 50km of Dublin that do not have a bus service to Dublin that reaches the city centre by 8am/9am?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Can you identify some of these towns with decent populations within 50km of Dublin that do not have a bus service to Dublin that reaches the city centre by 8am/9am?

Direct and non stop I'm looking at

If it's not non stop it takes ages and alot will choose to drive.

Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Naas
    Kildare
    Drogheda
    Bray

off top of head. Please don't say "they've trains". Again i'm looking for non stop to city centre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Portlaoise - I get into my office at 8.20am - walk/train/LUAS Red/LUAS Green

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Naas
    Kildare
    Drogheda
    Bray

off top of head. Please don't say "they've trains". Again i'm looking for non stop to city centre

You can't just ignore the rail lines we have in place, nowhere else in Europe would you get that.

Non-stop is pointless if you're stuck in traffic. Fast reliable commuter rail is a far better option to that. There's no justification in my mind trying to compete with the train from Bray with a non-stop bus to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,188 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Naas
    Kildare
    Drogheda
    Bray

They've trains. And via those trains you can access a variety of points around the city centre from the places you've listed. What's the issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They've trains. And via those trains you can access a variety of points around the city centre from the places you've listed. What's the issue here?

Naas doesn't have a train. Naas has a bus nonstop to the red line tram at the red cow.

Kildare has a bus to the city centre with one stop at the red line tram at the red cow.

Enfield has Kearns who run direct from Enfield, the same bus includes Kinnegad and has two stops after Kinnegad (both are bizarre inclusionswith Bray , Naas and Drogheda).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Naas doesn't have a train. Naas has a bus nonstop to the red line tram at the red cow.

Kildare has a bus to the city centre with one stop at the red line tram at the red cow.

Enfield has Kearns who run direct from Enfield, the same bus includes Kinnegad and has two stops after Kinnegad (which is a bizarre inclusion with Bray , Naas and Drogheda).

I imagine then that there are thousands in Naas who will never consider using the station called Sallins and Naas on the Northern approach to the town, and connected to it by a free feeder, and with substantial car parking, which is in the Dublin Short Hop commuter zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I imagine then that there are thousands in Naas who will never consider using the station called Sallins and Naas on the Northern approach to the town, and connected to it by a free feeder, and with substantial car parking, which is in the Dublin Short Hop commuter zone.
    Well one can call anything anything. The station is in Sallins. I am certainly glad to hear that there is a free feeder bus. Though based on the availability of seats at Drumcondra and Connolly at peak time the service is significantly underutilised.

Anyway as you say the Sallins train is easy available for most of Naas which also has a bus connection direct to the tram at the red cow.

• Advertisement

The train options are also terrible if the terminus is heuston. Almost always involves more than a 15 minute walk.

Non stop options is what im after. In commuter towns of say 1000+ residents where 50% work inside the canals, surely a busload of 50 odd cam be filled to get them straight to OCS at rush hour without the need for any stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

surely if your bus has empty seats to fill in the hamlets en route, then the demand to fill a bus from the originating town isn't there.

Isambard wrote: »
    surely if your bus has empty seats to fill in the hamlets en route, then the demand to fill a bus from the originating town isn't there.

It isnt full at that stage because they send a lot of multi stop buses for the morning so the crowd is spead between them in the current format. And of course those who think it takes too long and just drive in that may be swayed if the bus can beat the car in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't buy that unless they send lots of multi-stop buses all at the same time. People tend to travel at a time which suits there arrival time at destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The train options are also terrible if the terminus is heuston. Almost always involves more than a 15 minute walk.

Non stop options is what im after. In commuter towns of say 1000+ residents where 50% work inside the canals, surely a busload of 50 odd cam be filled to get them straight to OCS at rush hour without the need for any stops.

If the demand was there a company would have offered a direct service. The fact that there isn't a direct service means that there is no demand. Have you done any research on this bar you wanting direct buses?

If there was a direct bus where would it stop? Getting to the city centre isn't much use for a lot of people working in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The Luas red line is right outside. Im lucky Im a walk away from Heuston

Try_harder wrote: »
    The Luas red line is right outside. Im lucky Im a walk away from Heuston

Which is great if my job is a luas security worker at heuston. Hacing to be changing transport option slows me down and makes me think "fbucket. Car."

Agree that not everyone is going to city centre. But alot are.

Theres a maynooth to connolly train non stop in the morning which i think is as good as it gets. That train is mental busy if the recent reports are to be believed.

Obvuously track space is limited which leaves the bus. Get people into town faster than their car can and they will migrate.

Advertisement