Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning from career break

Options
  • 14-08-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi guys
    returning from a career break and just hoping someone could help me with a few questions.
    1. do i need to redo garda vetting even though i am teaching council registered and going back to the same permanent position i left. something to do with circular 31/2016

2. i have heard no word from medmark about fitness to teach etc. never really had too many issues all well and healthy.

3. will there be a delay with my first payment of salary.

4. will i be put back on the same payscale and the pre 2011 pension scale. have rang the department etc. very little help and i am no longer in union to ask.

5. is there any courses i am supposed to have completed in relation to new child protection issues. can only find the one you do with your entire school

6. also i have missed all of in services for new junior cycle irish english and history. can i receive them again

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

roxychix wrote: »
    Hi guys
    returning from a career break and just hoping someone could help me with a few questions.
    1. do i need to redo garda vetting even though i am teaching council registered and going back to the same permanent position i left. something to do with circular 31/2016

2. i have heard no word from medmark about fitness to teach etc. never really had too many issues all well and healthy.

4. will i be put back on the same payscale and the pre 2011 pension scale. have rang the department etc. very little help and i am no longer in union to ask.

5. is there any courses i am supposed to have completed in relation to new child protection issues. can only find the one you do with your entire school

6. also i have missed all of in services for new junior cycle irish english and history. can i receive them again

thanks in advance

1. Don't Know

2. That shouldn't really apply

3. Don't know

4. Should be the same payscale. Don't know about pension scheme

5. Your DP will probably know that.

6. There are 'mop-up' courses for 2nd subjects starting in September. Although I remember we signed up before the summer. The DP is usually the person who authorises these days off to attend and put's your name forward so contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi guys

Don't know but can't imagine why you would, you haven't changed jobs and have maintained your TC registration.

Can't see why you would hear from medmark.

That really depends on how efficient the chain of people are who are involved in processing your paperwork and putting you back on the payroll.

You should be. You were on approved leave, you don't get kicked onto the new payscale unless you are not teaching for 26 consecutive weeks, i.e. unemployed. Approved leave doesn't apply in this instance.

You can do the Tusla one online. You watch the videos and do the multiple choice questions at the end. It then generates a pdf certificate for you to say you completed it. When we did it in my school we sent the certificate to the principal as proof.

https://www.tusla.ie/children-first/children-first-e-learning-programme/

Dunno. There will probably be more inservice I'd imagine. Don't know if history has started yet. You'll probably pick up more info from your colleagues on staff that at the inservice anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you let Revenue know you are restarting work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

From the JMB FAQ on career breaks:

https://jmb.ie/faq-102/104-management-advisory/1401-career-break-faq-s
    Q.16 Is it necessary for a teacher to have a medical certificate of fitness for teaching prior to returning from career break?
    A. A teacher returning from a career break in excess of two school years shall be screened by Occupational Health Service( Medmark )It is a pre-requiste for the restoration of salary that a teacher is deemed medically fit for teaching duties by OHS before he/she is permitted to resume his/her teaching post.

Q.17  Is it necessary for a teacher to undertake vetting prior to returning from a career break?
    A. A. Section 5 Circular 0031/2016 sets out the statutory requirements in respect of employees. There is no immediate obligation under the Vetting Act to obtain a vetting disclosure from the Bureau in respect of existing employees, including those returning from career break. The school should consult Section 9 Circular 31/2016 in relation to whether it would nonetheless be prudent to see a disclosure notwithstanding that there is no statutory obligation to do so.

Your salary and pension will be the same as when you left. Breaks don't affect salary either way and only unapproved leave longer than 26 weeks affects pension. It might be an idea to do the online child protection course and assessment as most schools wanted the cert. It suggests 90 minutes for it but it's completely crap and you can just go straight to the questions - they're multiple choice and the wrong options are farcical. It will take 5mins.

Advertisement