Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burton Hall Riding School

Options
  • 14-08-2018 7:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was contacted by a lovely lady today looking for information on Burton Hall. Except not the Carlow one, the one in Dublin. We've done the google stuff, she is looking for family info, or someone who knew her sister as follows. Please pm me, if you can help:

The reason I am contacting you is to ask if you have any memories of a really excellent riding school called Burton Hall. Col.Humme Dudgeon was the instructor who taught students from a wheelchair. Back in 1970's my sister sold her horse for $500.00 in Canada, and boarded a plane to this school. She was 18. She went as a poor working student and took lessons from him to get her B.H.Instructor Certificate. She fell in love with Ireland . She came from an island Victoria, British Columbia. If you know of any former students who may remember her, her name was JUDY SOWLER. She fell in love with a man names Ski but my parents insisted she return for 1 year to Canada once she graduated. Sadly she never returned but spoke often of Ireland and the kind folk she met. She was a terrible student in our Canadian school BUT at Burton Hall she passed 3rd highest in her class. I am her sister. Thanks for anything you might recall about her life at Burton Hall. She passed away some years ago from leukaemia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

For info, she sent her request on FB to the group "Vanishing Ireland", and seems to have received quite a few infos and photos.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

isaos wrote: »
    For info, she sent her request on FB to the group "Vanishing Ireland", and seems to have received quite a few infos and photos.

I think she had the wrong Burton Hall - the one in Carlow!

Advertisement