Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vilamoura Golf Trip

Options
  • 14-08-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Looking for any information on accommodation for a group of 10 or more going next April. Would ideally like to get a villa that can take us all, or 2 if need be. Any recommendations that would work out at about €100 per night per person (4 night stay).

Also, thinking of playing the courses below, any alternative recommendations? All Algarve newbies.
    Victoria, Millennium, Vila Sol and Pinhal.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Try AirBnB maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

We stay in Vilamoura every year because my husband and son play golf. We stay in an area called the Old Village where there a mixture of apartments and townhouses. We have stayed in a 4 bedroom house and two different 5 bedroom houses. There is a shuttle service available on site to take you to the golf courses and there are a few bars and restaurants and a supermarket. It is about 20 minute walk to the Marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Keano wrote: »
    Try AirBnB maybe?

Super helpful, thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Try the vila gale ampalius hotel in Vilamoura
    Its a hotel, but great for groups as you are in Vliamoura and also on the beach
    They do a good b&b and there is a courtesy bus to every course that you book in reception
    Worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

We say in the Villa Gale Marina, also have stayed in Ampalius and Dom Pedro.

All are good and have buses to and from the courses.

Great pick on the courses, if I could change one is get of of Millennium and add in the Old Course..that would be a stunning 4 courses to pay.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Hi,

Try the Dom Pedro Portobello Hotel for accommodation, it is very central & they have free shuttle buses to the courses they are involved with.
    I played vila sol, I thought it was quite narrow & short in places but at €50/round. I also played Victoria, where the Portuguese open is hosted, a fabulous course, worth it even at €160/round

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have a look at yourgolftravel.com

Alot of the courses down the algarve are tied in with hotels and offer great prices if you stay and play at the connected properties, usually includes transfers too.

Walk up green fees tend to be crazy for this reason.

Going over with a group in Sept and 3 Nights + 2 Rounds working out bout €250. One of the courses, San Lorenzo has a Rack Rate of €190 per round

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d recommend contacting YGT or GolfBreaks. You will only beat their prices if you have an endless masochistic streak in you for the torture of haggling and coupon watching. Plus, ask them to organise transfers into the price. Transfers that are reliable and prepaid are genuinely the key to a great weekend. No stress. No cars. No phone calls.

If a central location isn’t important to you, I.e. you’ll be more into golf than spending the night boozing, whoring and gambling, have a good look at Formosa Park. It’s a very decent aparthotel about 5 mins drive to Quinta, 20 mins to Vilamoura. Nothing within walking distance, which means you’ll pay about £100 less for a trip here than anywhere in Vilamoura. Though a handy drive to any QuInta Do Lago or Vale Do Lobo course, plus San Lorenzo and Pinheiros Altos.

I’ve also stayed in Don Pedro Golf and Villa Gale. Both very good, and a 10 minute and 3 minute dander to the heart of Vilamoura, respectively.

In terms of golf, the best course I’ve stood on in Portugal, by a distance, is QuInta South. In the grand scheme of things, you won’t pay more than £20 or so more to play here than in a Vilamoura course, it’s only a 15 min spin out of town, and if you get transfers organised, they’ll be chucked into your green fee.

I’d also recommend Vilamoura Old and QDL Laranjal. Personally I’d put San Lorenzo among the most overrated courses I’ve stood on. It’s a decent course but it wouldn’t make the top 10 in co Wicklow. VDL Royal is also dramatically overrated apart from the wonderful 16th, which is a bucket list hole. Whereas I find its sister Ocean course a much better layout, and Pinheiros Altos was also a pleasant surprise from a recent trip. Either of those two would reduce your trip costs over playing Vilamoura’s main courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Really appreciate all the advice guys, very informative. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

went a few years ago. Played Old course, Victoria, millennium and pinhal. yourgolftravel did an offer on the golf and we booked accommodation separately in the Lake resort apartments (these were expensive). Best course for me was the Old Course as it was a little like augusta in terms of the scenery. Best kept was Victoria. The other courses are fairly standard.

You can bring clubs over but best to hire from the club hire shop at the airport (Paul McGinley's?) or get a deal which includes club hire at the course (clubs are quite good mostly).

April should be grand for tee times at any time of the day as it wont be too hot. Haggle on price for deals whoever you are talking to as the margins they make are massive if you go with the first quote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement