Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying craft beer in Ireland

Options
  • 14-08-2018 11:02am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭


    Where best to buy craft beer in Ireland, taking into account price, deals, variety. Buying online, offlicences, supermarkets etc...???


Comments

  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut


    There's no single answer to that. It depends what exactly you want.

    Independent off licences (Bradley's of Cork, DrinkStore, Martin's, McHugh's, Redmond's) tend to have the best variety, and some will always have beers that others won't have.

    Supermarkets do good deals on multibuys (Leann Folláin and the Boyne range in Tesco) if that's more important, but obviously selection is limited. There are some excellent beers which are exclusive to supermarkets and very cheap (Grafters range in Dunnes; Crafty Brewing IPA in Lidl).

    Online is really just if you don't have access to a good beer shop near where you live.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54


    BeerNut wrote: »
    There's no single answer to that. It depends what exactly you want.

    Independent off licences (Bradley's of Cork, DrinkStore, Martin's, McHugh's, Redmond's) tend to have the best variety, and some will always have beers that others won't have.

    Supermarkets do good deals on multibuys (Leann Folláin and the Boyne range in Tesco) if that's more important, but obviously selection is limited. There are some excellent beers which are exclusive to supermarkets and very cheap (Grafters range in Dunnes; Crafty Brewing IPA in Lidl).

    Online is really just if you don't have access to a good beer shop near where you live.

    Not really looking for a single answer here hence this post but more what people have come across and what they think is best.


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill


    i think for an introduction the lidl crafty brewing and dunnes grafter ones are as good as any.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking


    +1 what previous posters have said. For a good price to quality ratio, you cant go wrong with some of the supermarket offerings which are brewed in any case by craft breweries.
    My order of preference are as follows:

    1. Lidl's Crafty brewing range (brewed by Rye river)
    2. Tesco's Solas range (brewed by Rye river)
    3. Dunnes' Grafters range (brewed by Rye river)
    4. Aldi's O'Sheas range (brewed by Carlow brewing)

    Supermarkets frequently have offers also - 4 for 10/3 for 9 etc on some beers.

    For independent off licences, I'd also throw Stephen street news in the mix... great range, central, and usually has an odd surprise deal every now and again.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut


    slayerking wrote: »
    I'd also throw Stephen street news in the mix
    Stephen Street News is great to the point where I'd wonder how sustainable it is. It may be one of those things to make the most of while it lasts.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa


    Looks like spar Nassau St are copying them

    DkO6WPBW0AAqQuf.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner


    Just taken delivery directly from 8 Degrees Brewery. Minimum order is 3 trays, but their 440ml cans work out at €2.91 each. Formed a syndicate with 3 others and got 4 different trays. Yummy


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54


    Just taken delivery directly from 8 Degrees Brewery. Minimum order is 3 trays, but their 440ml cans work out at €2.91 each. Formed a syndicate with 3 others and got 4 different trays. Yummy

    Took a look around and 8 Degrees Brewery appear to be almost the only brewery that sells their product online.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa


    Speaking of that three trays rule, I heard there is some loophole that allows them to sell 3 slabs direct?


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,713 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    Over a certain volume is considered wholesale and allowed on a brewers licence from memory.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire


    L1011 wrote: »
    Over a certain volume is considered wholesale and allowed on a brewers licence from memory.

    Correct, all brewers can do what 8 Degrees do if they wish but most choose not too for some reason


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini


    RasTa wrote: »
    Speaking of that three trays rule, I heard there is some loophole that allows them to sell 3 slabs direct?

    It's not a specific number of slabs, it's a specific volume: 4.5 gallons (20.46 litres). 2 x 24 x 440ml = 21.12 litres, i.e. the minimum quantity for 440ml is 2 slabs.
    Correct, all brewers can do what 8 Degrees do if they wish but most choose not too for some reason

    Most likely the don't want to annoy the offies that are stocking their beer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54


    Lidl selling 4Provinces and 12 Acres craft beer this week.

    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kickstart-best-of-ireland/c936


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,727 ✭✭✭✭gmisk


    Molloys off license are excellent for craft beer etc


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola


    Mace on South Circular Road always has a decent selection too.

    Tallaght is probably one of the best branches of Molloys in Dublin for selection.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT


    Dellboy54 wrote: »
    Lidl selling 4Provinces and 12 Acres craft beer this week.

    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kickstart-best-of-ireland/c936

    Had the two 12 Acres beers tonight, enjoyable enough, IPL was the best of the two. Can't go wrong with the price!


  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Sling12


    Hopefully some left once I get out of work......


Advertisement