Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile faster than DSL

Options
  • 13-08-2018 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi
    We live in a rural area where only dsl broadband is available and there are no plans to introduce fiver in our area
    I can get around 5mb speeds with our eir dsl broadband but on my mobile I can get over 25mb through Vodafone 4g
    This may be a silly question but would I be better off cancelling the eir dsl and getting mobile broadband with Vodafone?
    It seems obvious that mobile would be better but what are the disadvantages of mobile? I believe the limit per month is a lot less,
    Any opinions welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

lazyman wrote: »
    Hi
    We live in a rural area where only dsl broadband is available and there are no plans to introduce fiver in our area
    I can get around 5mb speeds with our eir dsl broadband but on my mobile I can get over 25mb through Vodafone 4g
    This may be a silly question but would I be better off cancelling the eir dsl and getting mobile broadband with Vodafone?
    It seems obvious that mobile would be better but what are the disadvantages of mobile? I believe the limit per month is a lot less,
    Any opinions welcome, thanks.

No, mobile has much lower monthly data limits

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Vodafone are doing 150gb mobile broadband for 45 euro and if you require more data they have a 100gb data addon for 10 euro ... http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-4g-router-cat-6-bill-pay

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lazyman

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Vodafone are doing 150gb mobile broadband for 45 euro and if you require more data they have a 100gb data addon for 10 euro ... http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-4g-router-cat-6-bill-pay

How long would 150gb last?
    We mainly use it for Netflix, the odd box set and light Internet use. If its good enough I'll use it to watch matches on mobdro.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

A stable 5mb ADSL is much better Imho than a variable speed 25mb on Vodafone. Of course ADSL suffers faults and contention but it sure is more reliable than mobile.

How long would 150gb last?
    We mainly use it for Netflix, the odd box set and light Internet use. If its good enough I'll use it to watch matches on mobdro.
    Thanks

All those services are bandwidth heavy. You could easily piss 150gb away on a day or two. Stick with your fixed line service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 burrows

I was in the same position and did exactly what you are suggesting, although I went to 3 instead as Vodafone weren't offering the 150mb package at the time.

Because the router is in a fixed position the signal is fairly constant - a few drops in speed now and then, but more than good enough for netflix.

As the the usage limits, 150gig is (about) 5 gig a day. One hour of HD Netflix uses about 1gig of data (from my experience). We originally had a cap of 60gig and only went over it if/when family came to visit or if windows or phone updates were set to auto download.

You do have to be a bit mindful of how you use it. Three now offer an 'unlimited' (750gig) 4g broadband which I have upgraded to to avoid the hassle of watching what I download.

Netflix SD is 1GB per hour, HD is 3GB

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Do you have good three coverage? I have a 5mb eir connection and stopped using it in place of a three sim.

You can get unlimited data for €20PM PAYG topup with three.

150GB could be enough if you arent that heavy of a user.

Id be very wary of signing up for any contract with mobile broadband, you dont know what could happen to the connection over 12months

Are you not in the eir 300k rollout?

The high horse brigade my mistake, you are right, 1gb is for SD

Thank you for the replies, done a speed test just now on my Vodafone mobile phone and I'm getting over 30mb
    I'd get over having to watch Netflix in sd if it saved a the usage
    I think I can get a free trial of mobile broadband so might try that this week

• Advertisement

Called in three and they offer mobile broadband for 30euro a month with 750gb limit per month with 18 month contract.
    The mobile broadband coverage map shows I ave 4g indoor coverage but three say when you sign up there is no cooling off period which is strange
    Tempted to go with them as surely even on a bad day it still would be faster than the max of 5mb I get from eir dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Called in three and they offer mobile broadband for 30euro a month with 750gb limit per month with 18 month contract.
    The mobile broadband coverage map shows I ave 4g indoor coverage but three say when you sign up there is no cooling off period which is strange
    Tempted to go with them as surely even on a bad day it still would be faster than the max of 5mb I get from eir dsl.

Keep in mind you could buy a three PAYG sim and get unlimited for €20 top up per month and buy your own modem. 18 months is a long time, you wouldnt know how the 4g would be in a few months

Or you could even order a three sim and top up by €20 to test it.

Im using a three PAYG sim and downloading over 200gb per month without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No cooling off period but you have 14 days to take it back if it's not working right. The home 4g router is free on that 18mt plan.

Keep in mind you could buy a three PAYG sim and get unlimited for €20 top up per month and buy your own modem. 18 months is a long time, you wouldnt know how the 4g would be in a few months

Or you could even order a three sim and top up by €20 to test it.

Im using a three PAYG sim and downloading over 200gb per month without issue

That's good advice, thanks.
    I'm 7 days into a 14 day cooling off period with eir at the moment so have to get it sorted asap

With the three router there is also the option of an externally mounted antenna (from amazon or ebay) which is what I have.

Advertisement