Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a step - sliver or half tiles

Options
  • 13-08-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to tile a step (front porch).

The height of the step is slightly taller than the tile, and I'll either need to do one of these:

- have a small sliver of tile to make up the gap
    - cut tiles just over half to make it look like there are two tiles
    - grout a large gap along the bottom.

See photo attached.

Any other clever ideas? or any idea which might look the best?

2018-08-13 19.01.20_sml.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Colm given that, that tile edge will break when they bring in the new washing machine/ cooker ...*

Why not use metal edging or bullnose?

* Yeah done that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Purgative wrote: »
    Colm given that, that tile edge will break when they bring in the new washing machine/ cooker ...*

Why not use metal edging or bullnose?

* Yeah done that :(

There's a back door for those appliances ;-)

On the front porch, didn't think the strip would look the best to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Colm fair comment.

Our backdoor has a little kick in the approach from when the external insulation was added so ...

Anyway all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

i think the gap is too big for only grouting it. I think you then have the choice of a full tile+small sliver(at the bottom) or 2 half tiles. It would really depend then on how small the sliver is & how easy it is to cut it.

I'm guessing its cheaper to do the sliver as you'll need less tiles (get 2 + slivers cut from one tile vs use2 tiles to get half cuts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

No chance you can get a few bigger tiles of the same design/material just for the front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

wiz569 wrote: »
    No chance you can get a few bigger tiles of the same design/material just for the front?

Nice idea, will check the tile shop to see if they have long rectangular ones in the same colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

colm_c wrote: »
    Nice idea, will check the tile shop to see if they have long rectangular ones in the same colour.

Even if they are bigger you can cut maybe two from one etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Put the cut at the bottom. It will look fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

As tradesman says, cut at the bottom and full tile meeting the bullnose. It’ll look fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

wiz569 wrote: »

I would also suggest this. Anything else and you will go crazy everytime you walk up the front steps and see those slivers :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

or you could do them in diamond pattern

Advertisement