Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best providers for 4k tv

Options
  • 13-08-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭

In the market for a new TV and was going to get a 4k tv. Who are the best tv providers for 4k content?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In the market for a new TV and was going to get a 4k tv. Who are the best tv providers for 4k content?

I have an LG 4k 43" tv bought from richersounds.ie who have a forum on here. They answered any questions I had and found their prices and service very good. I paid about €400. It has all the major apps like now tv, prime, rakuten tv, youtube, rte player etc. If you set your location to the uk on installation you will get all the English tv players but you won't be able to access now tv as you would have an Irish account.
    The apps can be a pain to use when having to type in the names of programmes. I use my chromecast for now tv and eir sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I have an LG 4k 43" tv bought from richersounds.ie who have a forum on here. They answered any questions I had and found their prices and service very good. I paid about €400. It has all the major apps like now tv, prime, rakuten tv, youtube, rte player etc. If you set your location to the uk on installation you will get all the English tv players but you won't be able to access now tv as you would have an Irish account.
    The apps can be a pain to use when having to type in the names of programmes. I use my chromecast for now tv and eir sports.

Sorry I meant tv content - which providers show the most 4k content and which has the best setup for 4k.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

netflix I'd expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

all these 4k tvs and no progammes in 4k other than the big shots like netflix will 4k go like 3d that was a big hype

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s very little out there. Netflix and Prime Video are probably best. But for Netflix you will be paying the top sub.

Sky have a certain amount on Sky Q but as an example virtually the only sports covered in 4K are the Premier League and Formula One.

• Advertisement

Ya very little on 4k still and you will pay a premium for it.
    I occassionally watch 4k on youtube - nature videos from Africa and places like that. It will give you an idea of the quality.
    Too many internet providers still have 1tb caps on usage - not ideal for 4k streaming.

The bbc iplayer had wimbledon and the world cup this year in 4k but I couldn't access it when I normally could.

Netflix and Prime offer 4k but sports I think sky and bt offer 4k on satellite and I presume Sky will stream 4k shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Do the UK players work without any kind of VPN?

Wheety wrote: »

No they are geoblocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wheety wrote: »

All4 works

Weird that the traditional providers have yet to embrace 4k as it's been around a while now. I suppose when they're still getting away with charging extra for HD there's no incentive to upgrade.

Looks like Netflix is the best option, is there much 4k content there?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Weird that the traditional providers have yet to embrace 4k as it's been around a while now. I suppose when they're still getting away with charging extra for HD there's no incentive to upgrade.

Looks like Netflix is the best option, is there much 4k content there?

Plenty of class 4k stuff on Netflix, I’m watching el chapo in 4K on an LG oled at the moment and the picture quality is superb

how.gareth wrote: »
    Plenty of class 4k stuff on Netflix, I’m watching el chapo in 4K on an LG oled at the moment and the picture quality is superb

Nice.

Yeah I'll probably just stick with Netflix/Youtube and not bother with the traditional providers until they get their house in order.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No discussing circumventing regional restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭jmreire

Aside from the content providers ( sorry ) any recommendations for a good 55"-60" TV at the moment? Good specs (but not anything with enough Gimmicky that you would need a degree in gimmickry to operate it)

Tale of two Sharps TV's, bought within hours of each other in Tesco's January 2022. One of them has suffered the dreaded white screen of death, (my one...☹️) while the 2nd one works just fine. So I'm going to visit Harvey Normans tomorrow and try and pick up a replacement. Any advice would be appreciated, as long as its not Sharps.....

Thanks.

We don’t drag up old threads. A lot of what is set out in previous replies is now out of date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement