Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ingrown Toenail Treatment for a toddler

Options
  • 13-08-2018 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 3yr old daughter suffers from an ingrown toenail. We have gone to a chiropodist but he wasn't able to remove it.

My daughter has got to the point she won't let anyone near her toes.

Is there anywhere in Ireland (North or South) that can do treatment of an ingrown toenail on a toddler.

We are looking into a referral to Temple St Hospital but if there was somewhere else private that could treat her sooner, we would go with that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Have you seen the GP ? He may be able to cut a wedge in her nail to encourage the nail to grow out .He can refer you to the paediatric hospitals but if the nail bed is infected you could try bringing her to a paeds A and E at off peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Have you seen the GP ? He may be able to cut a wedge in her nail to encourage the nail to grow out .He can refer you to the paediatric hospitals but if the nail bed is infected you could try bringing her to a paeds A and E at off peak times

Been to the GP and we tried cutting a wedge. There was an infection but we have that cleaned up with antibiotics. Her feet are bathed twice a day with epsom salts and dried properly to try and avoid swelling and infections, but shes loves to run and jump etc. and bangs her feet and it bleeds often.

Been to the GP and we tried cutting a wedge. There was an infection but we have that cleaned up with antibiotics. Her feet are bathed twice a day with epsom salts and dried properly to try and avoid swelling and infections, but shes loves to run and jump etc. and bangs her feet and it bleeds often.

Ah poor pet . Could you see a paeds surgeon privately and try and get an appointment ? Failing that if you cant get the infection under control she may need an A and E visit .Just choose your timing right !

Ah poor pet . Could you see a paeds surgeon privately and try and get an appointment ? Failing that if you cant get the infection under control she may need an A and E visit .Just choose your timing right !

We have looked into a number of clinics but a lot don't treat her age group. Most websites for clinics etc. that mention ingrown toenail treatments don't specify age limit but when you contact them, you find out they don't treat <10year olds for example.

If we can find someone who can take her privately, we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

A&E won’t do much for a toenail.

Give your GP a phone call and have a chat. There are private paediatric surgeons in Dublin who would be used to seeing this kind of thing.

• Advertisement

Vorsprung wrote: »
    A&E won’t do much for a toenail.

Give your GP a phone call and have a chat. There are private paediatric surgeons in Dublin who would be used to seeing this kind of thing.
    I was suggesting if the toenail was infected to bring to A and E . Because once seen there they might refer the child on to the clinic .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was suggesting if the toenail was infected to bring to A and E . Because once seen there they might refer the child on to the clinic .

The OP has told us that the infection is under control.

OP it's your GPs job to find someone who will provide treatment, not yours and not the interwebz. If they aren't willing to make an appropriate referral (ie to someone who will do the job in principle at least) then start by finding a better GP.

I was searching for someone myself in order to speed up the process. We went to the GP today who is doing a referral for Temple St to get it sorted, but if I found someone myself that could do the procedure with a shorter wait time, that I would prefer that.

The OP has told us that the infection is under control.

OP it's your GPs job to find someone who will provide treatment, not yours and not the interwebz. If they aren't willing to make an appropriate referral (ie to someone who will do the job in principle at least) then start by finding a better GP.

Jeez . I was trying to help . I worked in A and E . I know how it flows there and an ingrown toenail can get re infected very easily despite it being now under control

Advertisement