Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakdown assistance?

Options
  • 09-08-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

AA have just upped our premium for the third year. I am staying with them at least for another year because, well, they are very good, but has anybody had good experience with other breakdown services, e.g. Allianz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Casspar wrote: »
    AA have just upped our premium for the third year. I am staying with them at least for another year because, well, they are very good, but has anybody had good experience with other breakdown services, e.g. Allianz?

You will find that a lot of insurers use the same garages for their breakdown services. They are not employees of the insurer, just signed up to provide the service in a given location. Good and bad service can be dependant on geography and insurers will often replace their provider if sufficient complaints come in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Casspar wrote:

Is the AA breakdown service included as part of the insurance? I was led to believe it isn't & you have to become an AA member to get breakdown cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Is the AA breakdown service included as part of the insurance? I was led to believe it isn't & you have to become an AA member to get breakdown cover.

No, it's an add on to your insurance policy. It's usually very cheap to add on (assuming your insurance is through the AA).

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Used the allianz breakdown assist twice. Once for a dead battery and once for a flat tyre. Both were at home in cork city. Came out very quickly and sorted the problem. However I was told by the mechanic that allianz wouldn't send them out again later on for the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Used Allianz breakdown twice. Once in Dublin when the yoke would not start, new battery needed. Once in the border area when they sent two different breakdown trucks, one from Armagh and one from Monaghan!! This might have been overkill.

I'm happy, although in both cases I could have got the job done myself if it was stuck. It is less than a Euro a week, I think.

I think it would be reasonable to not attend a dead battery twice if the customer will simply trying to save themselves buying a battery. \

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Casspar

thanks for that, sorry, I was not clear. I don't have car insurance with the AA ( too expensive ) I have their roadside and home start breakdown cover. They did try & sell me car insurance when I renewed my breakdown cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Does your insurance not include breakdown assistance? Most do. That's why I moved from AA. They were cheap enough but were dearer when adding in their membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wheety wrote: »
    Does your insurance not include breakdown assistance? Most do. That's why I moved from AA. They were cheap enough but were dearer when adding in their membership.

It's usually an option on the list of extras when you get your insurance renewal. If your car is up to date on maintenance with your manufacturer's approved service centres, that will often give you complimentary breakdown service so you won't want to be paying for it twice. That's my situation so I always decline it on my insurance renewal.

Advertisement