Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60v at my neutral wire.

Options
  • 12-08-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

The immersion switch blew so I picked up a new one. On testing I found I had 230v at the live, 60v at the neutral and as you would expect 0 at the earth.
    I thought neutral should have had 0 voltage ?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Visconti wrote: »
    The immersion switch blew so I picked up a new one. On testing I found I had 230v at the live, 60v at the neutral and as you would expect 0 at the earth.
    I thought neutral should have had 0 voltage ?
    Any advice appreciated.

A number of possibilities, here are my top 2:

Possibility #1: Faulty meter / low quality meter just seeing a bit of "noise".
    Possibility #2: The neutral supply to your distribution board is broken.

Any other symptoms?
    What voltage do you get between:
    1) live and earth?
    2) live and neutral?
    3) neutral and earth?

I suggest that you get an electrician to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's not clear what has been measured as a voltage will always need to be between two points, e.g. phase to Earth and neutral to Earth, and between phase and neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's not clear what has been measured as a voltage will always need to be between two points, e.g. phase to Earth and neutral to Earth, and between phase and neutral.

Live to earth is 230v
    Neutral to earth is 60v
    Neutral to live 230v

Thanks

2011 wrote: »
    A number of possibilities, here are my top 2:

Possibility #1: Faulty meter / low quality meter just seeing a bit of "noise".
    Possibility #2: The neutral supply to your distribution board is broken.

Any other symptoms?
    What voltage do you get between:
    1) live and earth?
    2) live and neutral?
    3) neutral and earth?

I suggest that you get an electrician to check it out.

The meter is fine I think your idea about the consumer unit is very likely.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Which neutral terminal did you measure the 60v at? 

The immersion or the switch?

If the switch was it the neutral in or neutral out?

If the immersion was it the neutral into the thermostat or the neutral side of the element?

• Advertisement

sparcocars wrote: »
    Which neutral terminal did you measure the 60v at? 

The immersion or the switch?

If the switch was it the neutral in or neutral out?

If the immersion was it the neutral into the thermostat or the neutral side of the element?

Neutral in at the switch. The feed wire .

If you turn the switch on and get 60v neutral to earth and then turn the switch off and get 0v neutral to earth then it sounds like a broken neutral back in the board on the cable for the immersion.

Another way to check is go phase to neutral with switch on and if you get 0v and switch off and get 230v then its definately a broken neutral.

I preume the immersion is not working for you then?

If you turn the switch on and get 60v neutral to earth and then turn the switch off and get 0v neutral to earth then it sounds like a broken neutral back in the board on the cable for the immersion.

Another way to check is go phase to neutral with switch on and if you get 0v and switch off and get 230v then its definately a broken neutral.

I preume the immersion is not working for you then?

No not working.

Most definately a broken neutral back at the board. Is there a timer before the switch?

Most definately a broken neutral back at the board. Is there a timer before the switch?

No it is a direct wire back to board I recon. No switches inbetween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Check that the high limit stat isn’t tripped and that the immersion is wired correctly (i.e the neutral is connected to n out and bath connected to bath element and sink connected to sink element)
    This might sound obvious but I’ve come across something similar before

meercat wrote: »
    Check that the high limit stat isn’t tripped and that the immersion is wired correctly (i.e the neutral is connected to n out and bath connected to bath element and sink connected to sink element)
    This might sound obvious but I’ve come across something similar before

Its before all that. Its the cable that feeds the on/off bath/sink switch.

Yeah i would definately a problem with the neutral between the neutral bar in the board and the switch.

If you got the 60v neutral to earth on the incoming switch terminals with the immersion on then everything in the immersion is okay.

If for some reason theres a seperate rcbo in the board for the immersion then that could be gone either.

Try the tests i said in my last comment.

Visconti wrote: »
    Neutral to earth is 60v

Genset is floating. Insert electrode in planet to fix. :confused:

Advertisement