Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - What Speeds do you pay for ? And what do you grt

Options
  • 12-08-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I have the 240MB package

I used to get 220-230 when directly plug from laptop to Ethernet cable

This lasted about 2/3 months

2 years later and all I get is 40-50MB

I haven’t complained because it’s enough for my use but got me thinking what about others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pay for 360mb and I get 360mb, that said I only use the VM modem in bridge mode have an Asus router running the network on my side.
    Have been on the 360mb package since it 1st hit the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Used to have this argument with Sky all the time, apparently you pay for "up to" 360mb or whatever it is, I'm sure Virgin T&C say the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Skuxx wrote: »
    Used to have this argument with Sky all the time, apparently you pay for "up to" 360mb or whatever it is, I'm sure Virgin T&C say the same!

Ah yes I know :) but surely 80% decrease isn’t actually fair service
    I would of expected between 140-240 not 40-50 but as mentioned it suits my basic needs so I’m not complaining but more wondering about others

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

That's a hell of a drop off to be fair, have you rang them and said it to them? Also did you test using Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    That's a hell of a drop off to be fair, have you rang them and said it to them? Also did you test using Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

Testing with Ethernet directly to laptop
    I’ve tried 2 other different laptops so 3 in total and getting same speeds but I was getting the 240 or >200 at the start
    Reset the modem too
    No I haven’t rang them at all to be honest

I’m just wondering are people getting that much lower ? I know it’s ‘up to X speed’ but getting 20% or so is fairly rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I am on the 240Mb package, I am also part of Samknows https://www.samknows.com/signup
    I have just checked my dashboard and I have been getting a constant 244Mb download for the past 4 weeks, I would suggest you contact Virgin Media and open a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With VM you should get 101% of your package speed. Pretty much always. You've got some kind of undiagnosed issue.

pR189b4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭lotas

on their business plan, and pay for 400mb/s... i have actually seen it hit 420-430mb/s in some cases... most of the time, 395-410 though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

wally1990 wrote: »
    Testing with Ethernet directly to laptop
    I’ve tried 2 other different laptops so 3 in total and getting same speeds but I was getting the 240 or >200 at the start
    Reset the modem too
    No I haven’t rang them at all to be honest

I’m just wondering are people getting that much lower ? I know it’s ‘up to X speed’ but getting 20% or so is fairly rubbish

Try a new cable.

I’ve changed the cable and it had no impact

I rang them and did testing but the guy said he can’t see anything wrong on the line/connection so will send out a technician to my home so let’s see what happens

I didn’t give out or anything just simply queried can they see anything wrong and can anything be done internally to change my speeds but he said no and a technician will need to check it

But weird considering there was no work done to house or anything and connection speeds just totally dropped over time

I am very impressed with speeds the above posters are getting
    V good service then IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A great service ruined by unstable equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I'm on the 360Mbps package. Speedtest.net tells me I'm getting 340Mbps, and that's over Wifi.

wally1990 wrote: »
    I’ve changed the cable and it had no impact

I rang them and did testing but the guy said he can’t see anything wrong on the line/connection so will send out a technician to my home so let’s see what happens

I didn’t give out or anything just simply queried can they see anything wrong and can anything be done internally to change my speeds but he said no and a technician will need to check it

But weird considering there was no work done to house or anything and connection speeds just totally dropped over time

I am very impressed with speeds the above posters are getting
    V good service then IMO

Hmmm, unlikely they would send a tech out if they could see nothing wrong. Might look to charge you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Theg will definetly charge you for a technician call out if they do not find anything, he will plug his computer in and check the speeds he is getting, if hs gets full speed you will be charged. Ring them back and make sure you wil not be charged and make sure they tell you that over the phone as you will then have a recording of them saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

animaal wrote: »
    I'm on the 360Mbps package. Speedtest.net tells me I'm getting 340Mbps, and that's over Wifi.

Are you sure you're getting that speed over WIFI :eek:

Are you sure you're getting that speed over WIFI :eek:

Yep. I have an Asus RT-AC3200, and because the cable comes into the house behind the TV, the router is in the same room that I use the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There is no problem getting those speeds with a decent router and a decent wireless card.

Hell, I've seen 540 Mbit/s on wireless on 5 GHz on a Samsung S7 connected to a Fritz!Box on a SIRO connection. As long as the router is set up correctly and you have a good signal, high speeds are archivable, no problem.

The further you walk away from the router and the more walls are between you and the router, the less you get.

/M

animaal wrote: »
    Yep. I have an Asus RT-AC3200, and because the cable comes into the house behind the TV, the router is in the same room that I use the laptop.

What spec wlan card have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

I’m on the 360 package.
    I have the hub in bridge mode, using a Netgear Nighthalk.
    I use Advanced Tomato as Netgear firmware gave really bad speeds.

I get the full 360 wired, get about 280 wireless in the same room as the router on an iPad Air 2.

No complaints here.

What spec wlan card have you?

Intel AC-8260 M.2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Pay for 240 - Get 240.

Advertisement