Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primary medical cert advice FEAR

• 11-08-2018 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I can't really drive my manual car anymore, would need an automatic with further adaptions. I have to work from home as a result and it limits me getting out and about. My understanding of the primary medical cert is that it's to keep people with MS working and engaging in the community, but I know many deserving people turned down despite this. I have MS 4 years and I'm in my early 20s but it has been very active in that time. My condition is very VERY variable. I can walk to the end of the road without a walking stick one day and the next day I can't go anywhere without the wheelchair and my pain is through the roof. I spend most my week confined to the house as a result! It says qualifying criteria is "partial use of both legs" which is where I'm hoping to qualify. 90% of the time if I'm asked to lift my legs, they won't move or will just begin shaking like crazy as I attempt to make them do something. I also have weakness in both my arms and I'm under investigation for further causes of my chronic pain.

I'm wondering if anyone has been for the cert in recent years: what sort of questions do people get asked and is there a physical examination?

I'm requesting letters this week from my physio and hosp consultants. What sort of thing should they be saying in these letters? Is it just offering proof of my MS rather than a detailed report?

Any help is very appreciated - I'm so so nervous about going for this having had run-ins with nasty drs in the past who dismissed my early symptoms of MS, calling me a liar, and another who argued MS was not a permanent illness when I went for my parking permit, as he believed they would soon cure it!!

I'm genuinely sick at the thought of going for this and encountering another nasty and dr, so I want to make sure I'm well prepared and have all the letters I need to back me up. For the first time in my life, I'm hoping the stress and worry means I'll be having a wheelchair day when the examination comes about.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

A primary medical cert is to help everyone who has a long term illness not just ms.
    I think when the physio and consultant writes the letters they will say how they find you at the time.. I know it's much harder to get one now than years ago. Just tell it how it is and hope for the best

Advertisement