Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the CAO get your results?

Options
  • 11-08-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Are the marking sheets sent to the CAO?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, the SEC sends the grades to the CAO.

The marking sheets are sent by examiners to the SEC and they have staff who enter all the data, creating the grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pnitro4

spurious wrote: »
    No, the SEC sends the grades to the CAO.

The marking sheets are sent by examiners to the SEC and they have staff who enter all the data, creating the grades.

oh ok, does the SEC send the sheets with grades to the CAO? wouldnt this take long to process?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would imagine it is all done electronically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pnitro4 wrote: »
    oh ok, does the SEC send the sheets with grades to the CAO? wouldnt this take long to process?

There are these things called computers.....

spurious wrote: »
    I would imagine it is all done electronically.

Would it be processed automatically by the computer itself or done by staff/people via computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everything is recorded electronically at the SEC, the grades are recorded by them into their database, and then sent to the CAO in one big data chunk, no different really to sending an attachment in an email.

The process in the CAO of assigning courses and sending out notifications would all be done completely automatically.

There are 13 permanent staff in the CAO and they hire 35 people during the exam season to handle queries. Nobody in the CAO is looking at individual records or results unless that person raises a query.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Would it be processed automatically by the computer itself or done by staff/people via computer

None of us work for the CAO so we don't know the exact process. Why does it matter?

seamus wrote: »
    Everything is recorded electronically at the SEC, the grades are recorded by them into their database, and then sent to the CAO in one big data chunk, no different really to sending an attachment in an email.

The process in the CAO of assigning courses and sending out notifications would all be done completely automatically.

There are 13 permanent staff in the CAO and they hire 35 people during the exam season to handle queries. Nobody in the CAO is looking at individual records or results unless that person raises a query.

Thank you!

None of us work for the CAO so we don't know the exact process. Why does it matter?

I was curious about the whole process because a thought occured to me where what if someone gets a college place by mistake when they havent got the points or vice versa where somebody doesnt get a place but they had the points and hadnt got in by pure error

I was curious about the whole process because a thought occured to me where what if someone gets a college place by mistake when they havent got the points or vice versa where somebody doesnt get a place but they had the points and hadnt got in by pure error

Errors slip in where people are involved, so examiners making mistakes filling in or totalling marks from papers is a point at which it can happen.

It would be unlikely an error would occur at the SEC transferring to CAO stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I was curious about the whole process because a thought occured to me where what if someone gets a college place by mistake when they havent got the points ...
    This only potentially happens if someone is downgraded after appealing, a mere handful each year, appeals normally generate an upgrade or (the majority) no change. If it does happen that (1) someone's points drop as a result of a downgrade, and (2) drop below the threshold for their course, they are not kicked off their course; that would be hugely unfair. Doesn't make any real impact in the general scheme of things, might be one or two people in a year, might be none.
    ... or vice versa where somebody doesnt get a place but they had the points and hadnt got in by pure error
    This is what the whole viewing of scripts and the Appeals process is there for.

This only potentially happens if someone is downgraded after appealing, a mere handful each year, appeals normally generate an upgrade or (the majority) no change. If it does happen that (1) someone's points drop as a result of a downgrade, and (2) drop below the threshold for their course, they are not kicked off their course; that would be hugely unfair. Doesn't make any real impact in the general scheme of things, might be one or two people in a year, might be none.

This is what the whole viewing of scripts and the Appeals process is there for.

Thanks, are the courses and grades processed at CAO as soon as everyone gets their results? (today)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

How does the HEAR point system work?

I am still a few points short of what my no. 1 choice was last year. (12 points off)
    I qualify for HEAR. How many extra points will i get and when? Will they let the CAO know before Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

How does the HEAR point system work?

I am still a few points short of what my no. 1 choice was last year. (12 points off)
    I qualify for HEAR. How many extra points will i get and when? Will they let the CAO know before Monday?

There are no set points off courses. You get reduced points, which is based on several factors:

1. The number of points a particular course is reduced by is dependent on a number of factors, such as:

2. The overall number of places on the course.
    The number of reserved HEAR places on the course.

3. The number of HEAR eligible applicants competing for these reserved places.

I'm other words, it's hard to predict what you'll get. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's how it works.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks, are the courses and grades processed at CAO as soon as everyone gets their results? (today)
    The results go to CAO in one massive data dump, but when exactly that happens, I don't know.

The CAO computers then calculate everyone's points, and start the massive job of matching them to courses.

Basically, the computer runs through the list of people who have met the minimum requirements for the course (first thing it checks), and offers the course to the top e.g. 50 people (if there are 50 places on the course).

The points of the last person to be offered the course are the points that are published as the "cut-off" for the course in Round 1. If any of those people refuse the offer, the course is then offered to the next person on the list. Whatever points this person is on will become the points published for 2nd round offers, and so on.

Advertisement