Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing back spent bullet casings from USA

Options
  • 11-08-2018 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in the states with the family on an epic 2 week stay and one of the things we did was go to a gun range and fire some 9mm handguns and an AR 15, one of the highlights great fun.

Anyway one of the kids wants to bring back some of the spent bullet casings. My question is if I put them into my checked bags will I be arrested in Dublin on Monday morning or get cavity searched in Dulles Airport this Sunday.

All common sense is telling me not to, but I'll ask anyway.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in the states with the family on an epic 2 week stay and one of the things we did was go to a gun range and fire some 9mm handguns and an AR 15, one of the highlights great fun.

Anyway one of the kids wants to bring back some of the spent bullet casings. My question is if I put them into my checked bags will I be arrested in Dublin on Monday morning or get cavity searched in Dulles Airport this Sunday.

All common sense is telling me not to, but I'll ask anyway.

I couldn't tell you what the story would be on the US side of things but in Ireland you would be committing an offence as all possession of firearms, ammunition and components of same require a licence. The penalties are potentially very stiff with a few years imprisonment at the maximum end of the scale.

Apart from that, the importation itself requires a specific permit from the Department of Justice, importing without it again is an offence.

I think you'll be better of just taking a few pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Empty casings = brass....

Can't imagine it would cause a problem to bring in one or two empties.

Maybe if you brought in a few thousand empty casings, it might raise eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The TSA allow it
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/shell-casings

Can't find anything on the Irish side. Maybe give customs a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Post them in a padded envelope? (to prevent ripping, not to disguise them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

irishgeo wrote: »
    The TSA allow it
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/shell-casings

Can't find anything on the Irish side. Maybe give customs a shout.

Excellent thanks for finding that, Problem now is it's the weekend and we all know civil servants, but I think it might be worth calling them at least at Dublin airport.

Just after remembering!!! I have a cousin who works for airport police in Cork...I'll get in touch with her she will know or be able to deffo find someone who will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

As meathstevie has pointed out, the Irish authorities do not differentiate between live ammunition and spent ammunition and you therefore require a licence to have the casings. In reality I don’t think it’s enforced as I’ve seen them being sold in army surplus stores but the airport is the most likely place to be pulled for it. I wouldn’t chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you do import them. Declare them at customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

Yet again in Irish law they are considered component parts and are illegal to possess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Victor wrote: »
    If you do import them. Declare them at customs.

Yeah. They will just take them off you if you declare them and they aren't allowed . If you didn't declare and they find them its going to be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Having been At a shooting range in florida i brought back two of the paper targets in my checked luggage.i was called aside going through security and i was asked to take a seat and remained there for longer than you'd be comfortable.i finally got the courage up to ask was there a problem as i had no clue what was wrong.
    Then they told me they found traces of gun powder on my bag.i nearly **** myself.but then i remembered the shooting range etc the paper targets were found and i was let go.

Declare them ,especially on the us side.or maybe try and find out if your allowed.personally id say there will be no problem if they are used and only one or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

As has already been pointed out, you will be committing an offence, as empty cases are classed the same as live ammunition under Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Don't do it not worth the hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I brought 2 empty cases bask from Australia a few years ago and didn't have a problem but after reading this thread it may have been luck that got me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Did it myself only 2 years ago and even put the empties in the Box they were given to me in, also brought the Targets home.
    They are just Brass shells, stick them in your big case with all the other booty you are bringing back, take the tags off everything just in case.
    You can get empty bullet casings/shell in numerous places here, they are just a souvenir and sold in souvenir shops everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I couldn't tell you what the story would be on the US side of things but in Ireland you would be committing an offence as all possession of firearms, ammunition and components of same require a licence. The penalties are potentially very stiff with a few years imprisonment at the maximum end of the scale.

I have casing /shells from the 21 gun salute from my grandfather's IRA funeral. Is it illegal for me to have these?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Like it's so easy to get your hands on the components to make "Live" ammunition and sure getting your hands then on a compatible gun without a license is not a problem? And the chances then that after you have all those that the thing won't blow up in your face when you try to shoot it.
    It's a dead cert that you are a hit man so and will be taken straight to prison for all the unsolved gun crimes ever committed in the State,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

reniwren wrote: »
    Yet again in Irish law they are considered component parts and are illegal to possess

But don't the component parts have to be usable?the ops bullets are used.can bullets be made usable after being shot?

But don't the component parts have to be usable?the ops bullets are used.can bullets be made usable after being shot?

I can tell you this, after a 21 gun salute the head army guy there on the day will often pick up spent bullet casings & give the to the family. They definitely don't collect the 21 casings & take them away. They leave them lying on the ground. Not something our security forces should be doing if it's illegal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have casing /shells from the 21 gun salute from my grandfather's IRA funeral. Is it illegal for me to have these?

Yes unless you have a firearm cert for a gun of that calibre.

Seems strange that the army don't remove these from the cemetery before leaving. I'm sure legally they must be responsible for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

As far as I'm aware any 'shell' is treated as a live round in Ireland so you'd need a licence for them. Ask in the Hunting section, they'll be able to cite the law in question.....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Seems strange that the army don't remove these from the cemetery before leaving. I'm sure legally they must be responsible for them

You may ask them that.
    Reloading of ammunition is illegal in Ireland except for a few people so having any component parts is illegal. I can't find the act but it has been posted on this site before

You may ask them that.
    Reloading of ammunition is illegal in Ireland except for a few people so having any component parts is illegal. I can't find the act but it has been posted on this site before

I don't doubt you. I wasn't questioning your answer.

I just find it ironic that the army who is at least partially tasked with protecting the state (I assume) can leave items lying around that the state deems a security risk.

It is very Irish imo

Having been At a shooting range in florida i brought back two of the paper targets in my checked luggage.i was called aside going through security and i was asked to take a seat and remained there for longer than you'd be comfortable.i finally got the courage up to ask was there a problem as i had no clue what was wrong.
    Then they told me they found traces of gun powder on my bag.i nearly **** myself.but then i remembered the shooting range etc the paper targets were found and i was let go.

Declare them ,especially on the us side.or maybe try and find out if your allowed.personally id say there will be no problem if they are used and only one or two.

This I was worried about to as the targets are coming back also. Number one is to declare everything if I am. I have cross posted this in the hunting forum to get their advice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

21 gun salute is done with blank ammunition. Totally different to live ammunition. I doubt those cases would be able to take the pressure of a live round, but I may be wrong.

At the end of the day, you are committing an offence, and if caught, and the DPP decided to proceed with the case, you will be in a world of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If it is illegal to be in possession of empty casings unless you have a firearm cert for that calibre (I honestly don't know) then I'd say it's largely unenforced. I have two casings from an 84mm anti tank rifle that I fired in the glen of imaal about 20 years ago from my time in the reserves (although I really wouldn't like to try and get them into america LOL).... I also know of at least one ex RDF officer who has a VERY large collection of brass casings in his front sitting room from just about every country in the world. Artillery shells all the way down to small arms... His Wife isn't impressed, but that's a different story... Honestly not sure where he got them, but he certainly doesn't have an import license. I'd be surprised if he has any firearm license.

Not disputing what youre saying, but Id say it's just one of those unenforced laws that we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muppet Man wrote: »
    If it is illegal to be in possession of empty casings unless you have a firearm cert for that calibre (I honestly don't know) then I'd say it's largely unenforced. I have two casings from an 84mm anti tank rifle that I fired in the glen of imaal about 20 years ago from my time in the reserves (although I really wouldn't like to try and get them into america LOL).... I also know of at least one ex RDF officer who has a VERY large collection of brass casings in his front sitting room from just about every country in the world. Artillery shells all the way down to small arms... His Wife isn't impressed, but that's a different story... Honestly not sure where he got them, but he certainly doesn't have an import license. I'd be surprised if he has any firearm license.

Not disputing what youre saying, but Id say it's just one of those unenforced laws that we have.
    He wouldn't be the only one with them

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I had no problem bringing home a handful of spent brass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How is anyone going to find these shells if you get them past the screeners and on to the flight in the US airport? As far as I'm aware, they don't screen incoming bags in Dublin airport. And even if the customs people pull you over, all they're interested in is people carrying drugs, excessive amounts of tobacco or dodging VAT by importing valuable goods over the allowed limits.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.....just boarding the plane now and I brought them anyway the missues was adamant that it shouldn't be a problem........and who an I to tell her! I told her I'll visit her in jail not a problem. Let ye all know in 6 hours time, gulp.

Advertisement