Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling damage without insurance

Options
  • 10-08-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for advice.

My wife bumped into the back of a car

She has now got a quote back from her for 700 euro. This is WAY excessive and the owner of the car is refusing to get a second quote. My dad had a much bigger accident fixed for 300 which involved lights etc been fixed.

She is talking about her relationship with garage etc. I have already agreed that I would settle bill direct

I have photos and I cannot see any visible damage, A small part of the bumper fell off. But I can't see that in the photos

Do I have any options but to pay

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Your wife rear ended another vehicle. Puts her at a major disadvantage in any
    traffic accident I would say. 700 euro for full and final settlement might be
    the cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you plss off the other driver, you risk having them submit an injury claim to your insurers. Everyday occurrence unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I am not disputing she was at fault!

I do feel we are been taken for a ride as in photos I cant see any damage to the car

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I am not disputing she was at fault!

I do feel we are been taken for a ride as in photos I cant see any damage to the car

That matters not, your wife lost her case when her car impacted
    the one in front.
    Your feelings about being ripped off, dont matter. Unfortunately
    you will have to mark it up to experience. And paying the 700 doesn,t mean
    the other driver cant claim in the future.
    I think you would benefit from proper legal advice here. Not the boards legal version, but the proper thing.

Sounds like for my own safety I should go through the insurance

WIll probably cost me close to 1k but I remove the risk of further claims

I can fight it and force a second quote. And assuming she doesnt try scam then I can possibly settle with the insurance company to keep no claims

My wife is so trusting and let this person promise her the world that she would try help us etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

You have no right to a second quote unfortunately. The person is free to choose whoever they want to fix their car. What kind of car did she hit? You wouldnt even get an unpainted bumper of a pair of rear lights for 700 for many cars let alone paint and labour. It doesn't sound like a mad quote

There was no damage done to the other bumper. I have since had a mechanic confirm this. I will see if I can post pic tomo if I can cover her reg

It is a Toyota avensis

There is 100% no damage to lights

There was no damage done to the other bumper. I have since had a mechanic confirm this. I will see if I can post pic tomo if I can cover her reg

It is a Toyota avensis

But you dont get to decide whether there is damage done or not.
    Thats a vehicle assesors job, and thats what your insurance is for.

Both insurance companies will decide on what is the path of least resistance financially, and settle on that, and you pay an increase in next years premium.
    Thats if you go the official route.

If you believe that she is a rip off artist, then it may be the soundest route to take.

It is a Toyota avensis

It was just an example as to how minimal damage can cost huge amounts to fix. You are holding none of the cards here and if you feel unsure about it then just go through the insurance.

• Advertisement

It is a Toyota avensis

If the other driver surrendered her car to your mechanic for an assessment on the damage, that seems very fair to me.

If your mechanic gave his opinion based on the picture, then he cant inspect underneath the bumper area. So its just an opinion based on no access to the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Probably won't work but offer to settle directly with the garage?

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Probably won't work but offer to settle directly with the garage?

No right to do that either, she is free to pocket the 700 if she wishes. There is no obligation to actually get the car fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

It probably could be fixed more cheaply.
    However the default repair would be a new bumper and a respray, with labour easily 700 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

cml387 wrote:
    It probably could be fixed more cheaply. However the default repair would be a new bumper and a respray, with labour easily 700 euro.

Closer to 1100 from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

IMHO ;
    1. It is a breach of policy conditions to fail to report this to the motor insurers.
    2. It is actually a RTA offence to fail to report to the insurers.
    3. It is a breach of policy conditions to make admissions and or to negotiate with other parties.
    4. You cannot compel production of an alternative estimate.
    5. Some damage is not always externally obvious. Sometimes more damage is discovered when stripping down during repairs.
    6. An assessor is the one best qualified to evaluate repairs in terms of what is required and the associated costs.
    7. Even if the vehicle damage is settled promptly by OP's insurers that does not remove the risk of a personal injuries claim as that is a separate cause
      of action.

Generally, private settlements outside of the motor insurance policy are fraught with problems and can often turn sour. These matters are best given over to the insurer to handle.

I have since figured out she wants me to pay a different garage than that doing the work.

I will lose no claims bonus fully

Advertisement