Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Over Doorway

Options
  • 10-08-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So need some help.

My front-door is a recessed front door. So over the door there is only a sheet of timber and an empty space until the floorboards in the bathroom above.

In the winter the bathroom and parts of upstairs gets cold. I need to figure out how to insulate it. Or if anyone knows anyone in the Limerick/Tipperary/Clare area who may do this kinda work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i did a job a few years back like that.

i took down the ply and insulated the back of the stud over the door and then put pvc soffit back up. there was only an attic above so i didnt need to insulate the ceiling part. you would

i did a job a few years back like that.

i took down the ply and insulated the back of the stud over the door and then put pvc soffit back up. there was only an attic above so i didnt need to insulate the ceiling part. you would

What type of insulation did you use?

quin therm i think.

Is it the type of job that insulation companies do, or is it too small for them?

• Advertisement

probably too small for the majority but the smaller guys would fit it in.

where are you based

probably too small for the majority but the smaller guys would fit it in.

where are you based

Limerick City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Without fully understanding the set up... maybe some photos would help?

I would suggest take down the board/sheet of timber
    Insert rigid insulation either directly above where the board will be replaced or to the underside of the joists of the bathroom floor.
    Replace board/sheet.

https://www.kingspan.com/irl/en-ie/product-groups/insulation/insulation-boards/kooltherm/kooltherm-k7-pitched-roof-board

Advertisement