Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another laminate floor question! Opinions greatly appreciated.

Options
  • 10-08-2018 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭

New build, going to laminate all of downstairs.
    Underfloor heating.
    Love the look of an Egger 8mm Ac4 laminate. Reasonably priced.
    Supplier saying that a 3mm perforated underlay is ideal, and that a 5mm would cause too much movement.

Is this prudent advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

sounds right

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Thanks for the clarifications!

As a follow up question:
    I'm getting mixed viewpoints on how thick the laminate should be. Most are saying 8mm is fine even in high traffic areas of the house, others saying if I want it to endure, then it should be 12mm.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

It depends on the "AC" rating of the floor rather than the thickness. Basically the higher the AC rating the better the floor, regardless of the thickness. There is some great 8mm flooring and some rubbish 12mm.

Some of the top manufacturers are talking about dropping the 12mm flooring ranges in order to increase the durability of the flooring. This is an old thread but the concept is still good. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85596957

Advertisement