Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little advice re: painting a ceiling

Options
  • 10-08-2018 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm painting a bathroom at the moment but I'm having a bit of trouble with the ceiling. I managed to get the 1st coat on alrighr but the paint seems to be peeling off when I try to roll on a second coat. I had previously gone over the ceiling a removed any loose paint that was there previously but I'm now plagued with it peeling again.

Any tips on sealing it up so I can paint it properly?

First time painter btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Hi all.

I'm painting a bathroom at the moment but I'm having a bit of trouble with the ceiling. I managed to get the 1st coat on alrighr but the paint seems to be peeling off when I try to roll on a second coat. I had previously gone over the ceiling a removed any loose paint that was there previously but I'm now plagued with it peeling again.
    Scrape off as much peeling paint as wants to come off
    Any tips on sealing it up so I can paint it properly?

First time painter btw.

Scrape off all loose paint, then coat out the bare patch with alkali resisting primer, once primer is fully dry, fill edges, let filler dry, sand filler, touch up area with your ceiling colour and then give the ceiling a full coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

What paint you using?
    What type roller ?

Has it just been plastered?

I'd keep peeling, looks like it hasn't adhered well, and it looks like it might even peel off like a sheet, initial painting whenever that was(years?) could have been applied to dusty/ damp plaster.

Also, steam will condense on that light and could have seeped into the plaster around the fitting, over time this has damaged that area and it may only be this area that is affected.

Peel till you are satisfied nothing else is loose, primer coat and leave 4-6 hours between finish coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I find oil undercoat better than primer. Put on with 4 inch emulsion roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

What paint you using?
    What type roller ?

Has it just been plastered?

I'd keep peeling, looks like it hasn't adhered well, and it looks like it might even peel off like a sheet, initial painting whenever that was(years?) could have been applied to dusty/ damp plaster.

Also, steam will condense on that light and could have seeped into the plaster around the fitting, over time this has damaged that area and it may only be this area that is affected.

Peel till you are satisfied nothing else is loose, primer coat and leave 4-6 hours between finish coats.

Thanks, I had scraped a load off it already but this area only seemed to come loose when I painted over it. Looks to me like it was paint straight onto plaster, it's a wonder it stuck so long :)

Anyway, I'm gonna take we're advice about the primer and try pick some up in the morning.

Thanks for all the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Thanks, I had scraped a load off it already but this area only seemed to come loose when I painted over it. Looks to me like it was paint straight onto plaster, it's a wonder it stuck so long :)

Anyway, I'm gonna take we're advice about the primer and try pick some up in the morning.

Thanks for all the help folks.
    Fleetwood do a nice stabilising primer for this. Its clear very easy to apply and works. I have used it inside and outside got great results.
    Scrape off any loose paint preferably with a firm stripping knife but if you only have a scraper it will do.
    If you dont want to spend €30 on the primer some thinned out oil based undercoat would be the next best option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement