Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of important papers to keep

Options
  • 10-08-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there,

I hope I am posting this in the right forum. feel free to move it else!

I'm trying to find a official page where we have the list of documents we must keep and for how long.

I can't find anywhere a clear list stating:
    Keep you P60 for ever, keep your electricity bill for a year or two, keep you P2C for 6 month, your contract of employment as long as you are employed, etc.

Sure some of it make sense in itself but I would expect citizen information and or revenue (or any other official website) to tell us clearly what papers matter for the future (retirement, tax, etc.)

I asked by best friend google but didn't find an answer so was wondering if anyone know that in details and had a link !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can get your p60 or p2c online anytime you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

AidanMike wrote: »
    Hi there,

I hope I am posting this in the right forum. feel free to move it else!

I'm trying to find a official page where we have the list of documents we must keep and for how long.

I can't find anywhere a clear list stating:
    Keep you P60 for ever, keep your electricity bill for a year or two, keep you P2C for 6 month, your contract of employment as long as you are employed, etc.

Sure some of it make sense in itself but I would expect citizen information and or revenue (or any other official website) to tell us clearly what papers matter for the future (retirement, tax, etc.)

I asked by best friend google but didn't find an answer so was wondering if anyone know that in details and had a link !

From a taxation perspective why would you keep your P60's for ever? Your P60 is a copy of what your employer files with Revenue each year and as such the information is held in Revenue's records. You can see your last 4 years information online yourself in your Revenue account and can if you need it for something request the pay and tax details held by Revenue belonging to you.

Again the tax credit cert is available online and is of no real benefit to you as you can see the information online. Again you can request the information from Revenue at anytime. Not sure why you'd need it anyway after a year or so.

The only documents you'd need to hold officially for Revenue is any backup documents for any tax relief claims like health expenses for 6 years.

The rest of the information you wish to hold is entirely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AidanMike

so there is no papers that I need to hold outside of expenses I would need to prove in case of tax audit (like medical bills if I claim them)? That is far easier than what I was expecting!

AidanMike wrote: »
    so there is no papers that I need to hold outside of expenses I would need to prove in case of tax audit (like medical bills if I claim them)? That is far easier than what I was expecting!

Just verify that the info per your P60 is the same as what's in your Revenue online account and you should be fine.

Where P60's are requested by Revenue it usually means that for some reason the information held by them doesn't match your P60. Reasons for that could be your employer didn't file the information with Revenue or filed something different. Or you've entered your own pay and tax details online which doesn't match the information Revenue hold for you or is off the wall altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is this just a tax question, or is it a general citizenship one?

If the latter:

Keep your birth certificate forever - or at least until you've signed on for the state pension.

Keep your college graduation paperwork until you no longer want to get a job. Ditto references from earlier jobs

Where citizenship and tax meet ... to do somethings, you may need to prove that you've been (tax) resident in Ireland at certain time in the past. Keep leases, electricity bills, etc for things like that. (Especially if you'll have to deal with immigration authorities).

If it's just tax:
    I know you can your tax docs on-line now - but that's recent. They may not keep them forever. Personally I'd still keep full paperwork for seven years, and summary pretty much forever.

• Advertisement

If it's just tax:
    I know you can your tax docs on-line now - but that's recent. They may not keep them forever. Personally I'd still keep full paperwork for seven years, and summary pretty much forever.

PMOD means no more P60's, P45's etc from next year so nothing for an employee to hold as they can view their details in near real time. Historic records of pay and tax can always be requested.

Is this just a tax question, or is it a general citizenship one?

If the latter:

Keep your birth certificate forever - or at least until you've signed on for the state pension.

Keep your college graduation paperwork until you no longer want to get a job. Ditto references from earlier jobs

Where citizenship and tax meet ... to do somethings, you may need to prove that you've been (tax) resident in Ireland at certain time in the past. Keep leases, electricity bills, etc for things like that. (Especially if you'll have to deal with immigration authorities).

If it's just tax:

While main concern is indeed tax I'm looking for a comprehensive list just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything or shredding something important.

Graduation stuff is a good call-out, they are somewhere in the attic (I should do a treasure hunt to get them somewhere more accessible!).

Birth Cert / Marriage Cert: are HSE not delivering new ones for 20€ or so? Ha ye just found the link: https://www.hse.ie/eng/births-deaths-and-marriages/get-certificates-online/get-a-birth-certificate/!
    I do have 2 of each though store at the same place (fully defeating the purpose of keeping 2 ...)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,291 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

maybe hard copy of bank statements for 7 years is a good idea, just in case, this means if u are on e statements you need to keep them printed ams they only store for 2 years: if you need them they are c 5 euro a page from bank

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A Calendar year Statement of medical costs from local doctor cost me €20 .

A Calendar year Statement of medical costs from local doctor cost me €20 .

Nice one, I knew about the pharmacy doing it (never got charged for it so far !). It's a good way to get a recap in case you need to claim part back.

Had a friend doing it for a few years back without issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement