Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal??

Options
  • 10-08-2018 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My partner said to me last night that she would rather see me dead than see me with anyone else. Today when I breached the subject she said she didnt mean it like that she was just trying to say how much she loved me. I said that in my opinion I couldn't draw anything positive from what she said. Her reply was that I was just trying to twist things and that most people would take it the way she meant it. Who's right, me or her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sometimes people have brain farts and nobody needs to be right? Unless you start seeing her wringing her hands around an imaginary neck whenever you talk to another woman I wouldn't read much more into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has she taken back what she said? Or is she trying to justify it?

I would be worried - is she generally possessive?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It could be a sign that she's a jealous, possessive person. Are there other signs? Taken in isolation though I wouldn't be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bonnie63

GingerLily wrote: »
    Has she taken back what she said? Or is dhe trying to justify it?

I would be worried - is she generally possessive?
    Trying to justify it.

Bonnie63 wrote: »
    Trying to justify it.

Well I wouldn't accept the comment then.

You should consider walking away, if you accept this then your basically agreeing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Without context its impossible to tell. Like what brought it up? Doesn't exactly sound like a death threat, like.

If it was just a general statement then I think you're overreacting by taking it so seriously. You don't have to take anything from it, positive or negative. It's only words.

I think you're making an issue out of nothing to be honest.

You should consider walking away, if you accept this then your basically agreeing with it.
    I am walking away. Thats what started it all. Two years of argumentative and confrontational behaviour. It's not what I'm used to and Ive had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

TBH
    there is a big difference between a threatening "if you try to leave me I'll kill you"

and someone saying "you leaving me would hurt me more than you dying" in a misguided attempt to portray feelings

Only you and her can know the context and the likely meaning

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Without context its impossible to tell. Like what brought it up? Doesn't exactly sound like a death threat, like.

If it was just a general statement then I think you're overreacting by taking it so seriously. You don't have to take anything from it, positive or negative. It's only words.

I think you're making an issue out of nothing to be honest.

I accept that as a possibility, however there's a lot more to it than an isolated statement. I wont go into it on here as this is not the place but thanks all for your feedback.

Sorry GingerLily but that's ridiculous. It's just a stupid statement that doesn't actually mean anything.

And you can accept a person's opinion without agreeing with it. It's called agreeing to disagree, a basic concept in interpersonal relationships.

It would be ridiculous to end a relationship over disagreeing with a silly statement. Total megalomaniacal behaviour.

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    TBH
    there is a big difference between a threatening "if you try to leave me I'll kill you"

and someone saying "you leaving me would hurt me more than you dying" in a misguided attempt to portray feelings

Only you and her can know the context and the likely meaning
    I agree with what you're saying but her words were ' I'd rather see you dead than see you with someone else ' and thats verbatim. The thing is one never really knows what goes on inside persons mind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sorry GingerLily but that's ridiculous. It's just a stupid statement that doesn't actually mean anything.

And you can accept a person's opinion without agreeing with it. It's called agreeing to disagree, a basic concept in interpersonal relationships.

It would be ridiculous to end a relationship over disagreeing with a silly statement. Total megalomaniacal behaviour.

Read the OP's post, they are walking away.

OP be strong and vigilant. Make sure at least one person close to you knows that she's said that.

The OP is worried about it, so it is obviously more then just a silly statement.

Caranica wrote: »
    Read the OP's post, they are walking away.

OP be strong and vigilant. Make sure at least one person close to you knows that she's said that.

And @GingerLily

OP replied while I was writing my post, thanks.

It's silly to end a relationship over a statement. If it's part of a pattern, then it's a bigger issue and my advice would likely be different. The OP gave no other context in the initial post, so you can only advise on what you're given.

Best of luck anyway OP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I am walking away. Thats what started it all. Two years of argumentative and confrontational behaviour. It's not what I'm used to and Ive had enough.

That sheds a completely different light on it then!

If you're walking away, what's the issue? Are you actually afraid that this was some sort of threat that she'll act on? Most likely she's just upset and trying to emotionally blackmail you.

woodchuck wrote: »
    That sheds a completely different light on it then!

If you're walking away, what's the issue? Are you actually afraid that this was some sort of threat that she'll act on? Most likely she's just upset and trying to emotionally blackmail you.

There's no issue as such. I've already made up my mind but she's the type of woman, she makes a statement and she'll say ' you ask anyone and I bet they'd say you're wrong.' So, I asked everyone. I just wanted to see what feedback I'd get. As for the emotional blackmail? yes thats been tried too. The bottom line is I'm done with that relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Not normal. Probably quite psycho as it seems to be in the context of you heading towards breaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Context matters OP. Just based on the statement alone, I’d say you’re being really dramatic ending a relationship over this, so that’s my answer to your question because that’s all you’ve given us to work with.

If there’s more that you haven’t gone into, then maybe it could be weird if there’s a pattern and every odd comment they make comes back to brutally murdering you. But you haven’t really told us that so it’s difficult to help since your OP is essentially “Who is right, me or my partner? I don’t want to get into it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Context affects meaning, but there's no context that makes it OK. It's a scale between unhealthy obsession and active death threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Context affects meaning, but there's no context that makes it OK. It's a scale between unhealthy obsession and active death threats.

People say dumb stuff that comes out differently to how they mean in the real world all the time. If the girl I'm seeing said the same thing, I'd be a bit taken aback because it'd be so out of character, I'd probably give her a chance to clarify, but I wouldn't go to the Internet and ask a bunch of people if I needed to finish the relationship. That'd be the 'looking for drama' route.

If a girl I was with didn't have English as her first language, similarly, I probably wouldn't even blink because it could just be a figure of speech in their country/culture that translates harshly.

If it came off the back of a lot of behaviour that left me wondering about the state of her mental health, then yeah I'd be wondering if I need to worry as thinking about my death is a strange thing to randomly leap to.

So yeah, context matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I am walking away. Thats what started it all. .

:eek::eek:

That's a bit more worrying so.

I'd sleep with one eye open and don't eat any food she makes in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

My partner said to me last night that she would rather see me dead than see me with anyone else. Today when I breached the subject she said she didnt mean it like that she was just trying to say how much she loved me. I said that in my opinion I couldn't draw anything positive from what she said. Her reply was that I was just trying to twist things and that most people would take it the way she meant it. Who's right, me or her?

It sounds like she's saying you're blowing this out of all proportion, which in fairness without any background info it sounds like you are

It could have been meant in a jokey way? It could have been meant in a I can't imagine either of us with anyone else kinda way?
    Or it could have been meant in the I'll stab you 80 times if you ever left me for someone else kinda way?

I would think the last way is the LEAST likely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Green&Red wrote:
    It sounds like she's saying you're blowing this out of all proportion, which in fairness without any background info it sounds like you are

Er, did you only read the first post before you replied, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I quoted what she said to the OP

Her reply was that I was just trying to twist things and that most people would take it the way she meant it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

S/he also said:

Bonnie63 wrote:
    Bonnie63 wrote:
    There's a lot more to it than an isolated statement. I wont go into it on here as this is not the place.
    Bonnie63 wrote:
    As for the emotional blackmail? yes thats been tried too. The bottom line is I'm done with that relationship.

Advertisement