Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UK

Options
  • 10-08-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some advice on my situation. I am currently thinking about moving to the UK (About an hour outside of London by train) and have a few questions as to what the process involves.
    I want to move there to be with my other half as we are currently flying over and back to see each other which can be very difficult. I am just wondering is it difficult and a long process to get set up with a National Insurance Number and a bank account. Also in regards employment, I am currently working in the Civil Service and am in a position where I can take a career break for a minimum of six months so if things don't work out over there I can come back to my job here in six months. I have been working here for over four years now so have good experience in an office environment and in admin/clerical roles.
    I just have this fear that has always held me back from the move such as what if I get there and am unable to find a decent job. Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I don't work in the same area as you so I've no idea about jobs, though I couldn't imagine you struggling to find one around London.

But in terms of NI number, I rang and got my appointment for 2 days later, had my meeting, answered a few straight forward questions and received my NI number in the post within 3 weeks. Had no issues from my former employers on getting paid without it.

Bank account was harder, much harder. I set up one with Revolut, a mobile banking app, similar to Monzo, etc. to get my wages. Applied for a basic account with HSBC, with a letter from my employer and passport, they told me I was eligible for a full bank account as I was working here. Had it processed and open within an hour. By far the easiest bank to deal with. Barclays, Lloyds, Santander all rejected me for no previous addresses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DaymanNightman

Thanks for your reply Whatsisname. That's great that the NI Number is such a straightforward process. Also my brother often speaks highly of Revolut so I think I will sign up for that now before heading over there so at least then I will have somewhere to get my wages if I'm lucky with the job search. Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Revolut is a god send, even with my HSBC account, I still use Revolut more. It even allows you to set up 2 different currency accounts and its free to exchange the currencies, all with the one card. I sound like I'm being paid by them at this stage but it's great.

Feel free to ask any more questions that may pop into your head.

Advertisement