Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go - 1 month Christmas (Dec / Jan)

Options
  • 10-08-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

So for the past 7 odd years we've been doing a 1 month trip (Usually around 8 Dec - 4/5 Jan) to SE Asia. I think by now we have exhausted Thailand / Laos / Vietnam / Cambodia. However, it suits us as we have:
    1) Nice Weather
    2) Mix of beaches / culture / craic
    3) Easy to get to / get around
    4) Quite cheap once over there (accom / food / drink)
    5) Overall, great food
    6) Bandwidth. In Thailand / Vietnam, you land and buy a SIM with nice data plan... never had any bother tethering so I could work.

Where could we go to pass a month that would still combine all of the above? We're not too concerned on flight prices as usually we fly Business, but happy to resort back to Economy this year.

Most of South America is wet this time of year, I hear (although haven't researched it)

Cuba, I believe a month would be too long and around that time of year accom is quite expensive.

Most times we've been in SE Asia, we hear of typhoons in the Philipines that time of year (again, just hear-say and never researched it properly)

I have always said we'd do India, but I feel a month there might exhaust us... always opportunistic scams / not that easy to get around (maybe i'm reading too many blogs). I suspect the GF wouldn't be totally comfortable there... and the beaches down in Goa will be nothing compared to SE Asia (but hey ho).

I suppose the main priority is nice weather. Not expecting 100% sun-shine and lovely weather, but don't want to be stranded somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Try Zanzibar.

In particular, Paje Beach. It's a tiny coastal village that has in the last few years become a wind surfing and scuba diving hot spot and general chill out zone. I don't know how they found it but Europeans have been traveling there in increasing numbers the last few years and you better go there before it becomes the next Ibiza. Right now it's super chill and a great spot to hang out.

You don't need to be a wind surfer or scuba diver to enjoy the place. I lived there for a few months and never touched a surf board or went scuba-ing. I did however drink a lot of beer and met some great people.

I met many a romantic couple when I was there also. Doing romantic walks on the beach. Only one Irish person though. And she was a tee-totaller. Oh, and the weather is very very nice.

Give it a google.

You can get direct flights there from Brussels, Netherlands and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Canaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Would you consider Australia? A month seems like a good length to go and you’d have the weather, maybe you want a bit more exotic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I would definitely look into South America, maybe Argentina and Chile?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sri Lanka.

Good weather, fantastic beaches, mountains. Great cheap food. Lovely people. None of the hassle of India.

• Advertisement
Advertisement