Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle driving test waiting time

Options
  • 10-08-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Anyone know what the average waiting time for a bike test is these days? I'll be doing it in cavan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

woody84 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the average waiting time for a bike test is these days? I'll be doing it in cavan.

about 13 weeks according to this, but that's for car test. I would imagine it is near enough the same

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Test-Waiting-Times/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I think they let you wait at the testing center and if there happens to be a cancellation you can take that persons place. (could be wrong)
    Its a gamble though

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭woody84

about 13 weeks according to this, but that's for car test. I would imagine it is near enough the same

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Test-Waiting-Times/

I was hoping the bike test would move along quicker since less demand than cars

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭woody84

I think they let you wait at the testing center and if there happens to be a cancellation you can take that persons place. (could be wrong)
    Its a gamble though

I would if I could but i can't. I'm renting out the bike for the test. So that's a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I was hoping the bike test would move along quicker since less demand than cars

Try giving them a call, they might be able to give you a better idea of wait time just for motorbikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

Its a gamble though

If you call up you can be put on the "cancellations list". If anyone cancels within a week or two of their test date, the appointment goes to someone on this list. The first woman I talked to suggested I call in every day just to check if they had anything. Ended up getting an appointment within about 2 weeks of when I started. This was for a cage, so might be a bit different for bikes. You still get the options of taking the appointment or passing on it, and you should have a few days to call and organise a rental bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

In Dublin - I waited for my bike test for around 3 months. Failed it and signed up again, this time for cancellation list but haven't heard from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Approx 8 weeks from when you apply until test date in cavan. They give you about 5 weeks notice of the test date .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Navan is about 6 weeks from application. 4 weeks notice. A tester usually comes from Dublin or cavan for a day of bike tests. Not sure how frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Tallaght only has 1 bike tester currently. So the wait there is pretty long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Probably too late for you but I applied when I did my IBT, and passed the test 6 months and 1 day after I completed the IBT. That was for Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Didn't realise this thread was here, 16 weeks is the average wait in Cork according to the RSA website. applied last week, only 4 months into the 6 but requested a date from the 6 months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

Wondering how long Bike test waiting times are nowadays. I have been on it for Months going back to 2021 - Much longer than the 8-10 weeks on the RSA website. Also my IBT is due to expire in the summer. They extended expiries of lots of things but not the IBTs even though for a lot of times over last 2 years there was no tests taking place etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

If it is of any help I applied in march 2021 i think it was

Got an invite to book in november 21

Could not get a Rental bike or pretest lessons everyone was booked up

let the 10 days expire expecting to get another invite but no joy had to ring them to get back on the waiting list and got an invite again and did the test in feb 2022

did you get the invite yet to go online to book the test yet?

This was for the Deansgrange / DunLaoghaire route

Any time i checked online all the routes said no availability but as soon as I rang them I got a re-invite within a week

I signed up/paid and I'm waiting on my invite. I think I'm waiting approximately 2 months so far. My learner permit expires in August so was hoping to at least have sat the test by then. I thought I was giving myself loads of time but previous replies here tell me I may be renewing my license.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Went on the waiting list last summer, got an invitation to book about a week before Christmas (Dec 17th) - no chance of getting a pre-test lesson or bike rental arranged during Christmas so left it off. I hadn't heard anything since so I checked the RSA portal and it said still on the waiting list. Checked back on the last email and there was a link to "re-join the invitation queue" which I've now done. Not sure but it seems if you don't book when invited you are put in waiting list limbo unless you fill out the form to re-join the queue. Of course none of that is explained on the website and they actively discourage you from ringing them.

In short, I think you can expect 3-4 months wait from joining the wait list to getting an invite to book and same again if you can't make the appointments offered.

Advertisement