Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G-Shock

Options
  • 10-08-2018 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I am on the lookout for a new G-Shock and looking for some recommendations. My current everyday wear is a GR-8900A. I have my eye on the Rangeman GW-9400-1ER, it is bigger in size but it gets mixed reviews online. Anyone here who has a Rangeman, can you let me know, give your pros and cons?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Klopp wrote: »
    I am on the lookout for a new G-Shock and looking for some recommendations. My current everyday wear is a GR-8900A. I have my eye on the Rangeman GW-9400-1ER, it is bigger in size but it gets mixed reviews online. Anyone here who has a Rangeman, can you let me know, give your pros and cons?

Thanks.

I have a rangeman, it’s a lovely watch but I’ll admit it is a little chunky, you know you’re wearing it. I’ve a lot of gshocks, from the big ones to the smaller ones, and while the gw9400 looks great it’s not the most comfortable watch I have. If you want a bigger gshock but comfort too, have a look at the gwg-1000 mudmasters, they look great and are packed with features, but wear very comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I have a rangeman, it’s a lovely watch but I’ll admit it is a little chunky, you know you’re wearing it. I’ve a lot of gshocks, from the big ones to the smaller ones, and while the gw9400 looks great it’s not the most comfortable watch I have. If you want a bigger gshock but comfort too, have a look at the gwg-1000 mudmasters, they look great and are packed with features, but wear very comfortably.

For those exact reasons i would prefer to try it on before i buy it but i haven't come across it anywhere as of yet. I am not sold it on either. I'll take a look at the GWG 1000. Thanks for the reply and your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

For those exact reasons i would prefer to try it on before i buy it but i haven't come across it anywhere as of yet. I am not sold it on either. I'll take a look at the GWG 1000. Thanks for the reply and your thoughts.

Maybe try the watch shop upstairs in the Jervis shopping centre in Dublin, they had one there last time I was in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Ive been an automatic watch chap since forever and hated quartz & digital. I have recently been put in a situation where i need a reliable watch that is not affected by gunk, dust, muck etc so i went for a classic square G the M5610.

I have barely taken it off in the 2 months since i got it, even going so far as to wear it with with my suit to work. Its the most comfortable watch i own. Its tough, but not too tall or wide that it restricts movement or digs into the wrist, but its still very much a G Shock.

Couple that with the Multiband 6 & tough solar which means i never have to set the time and i also never have to open it. WUS has plenty of tough solar watches that are pushing 20 years now. Never been opened so no risk of messing up the seal.

Its retro style has a lot of appeal to me also. For less than 100 quid it is the best value watch i have ever owned. Im having to force myself to wear my automatics these days because of it. Highly recommended.

43186600355_53dfa7e985_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmgBgGMn46k/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8hpll2akg9ay

Here's one of my gshock the GW-M5610BC with the combi bracelet. I picked it up in Japan for about €160

• Advertisement

I found a Rangeman over the weekend, it looked nice and fits nicely on my wrist, it wasn't uncomfortable but now i am unsure and looking more towards the Mudmaster. I saw the GWG-100-1A3ER in another shop, more expensive, I didn't get to try this on, the shop was very busy and I was standing around waiting 15mins before i left. The reviews on the Mudmaster seem to be mixed online. I have seen so many lovely G shock watches. If only money was no object...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some of the g-shock steel watches are nice too. If money was no object I'd definitely have about 4 or 5 g-shocks.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/g-steel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some of the g-shock steel watches are nice too. If money was no object I'd definitely have about 4 or 5 g-shocks.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/g-steel
    What size is the steel range? There is some sweet watches in there. I "need" to get a new g shock because the strap broke on my old one..... and i dont cant to wear my tag training and hunting or else ill wreck it! I want something big enough.

Im in spain at the moment, might have a look over here and see if there is any value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

aaakev wrote: »
    What size is the steel range? There is some sweet watches in there. I "need" to get a new g shock because the strap broke on my old one..... and i dont cant to wear my tag training and hunting or else ill wreck it! I want something big enough.

Im in spain at the moment, might have a look over here and see if there is any value

I have the GST-B100D-1AER, its big alright. The bluetooth connect feature is a bit odd though - you use an app on your phone to set things like the alarm and timer on the watch, but obviously the phone has these anyway so why not just use your phone? Its was good value on watchshop.com before Xmas ~£240

aaakev wrote: »

Check shop windows or Google g-shock size comparison and look at the images. Tbh, I don't think you really get a good idea till you try one on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I found a Rangeman over the weekend, it looked nice and fits nicely on my wrist, it wasn't uncomfortable but now i am unsure and looking more towards the Mudmaster

Where did you see the Rangeman and Mudmaster GWG1000 if you don’t mind my asking ?

Where did you see the Rangeman and Mudmaster GWG1000 if you don’t mind my asking ?

The Mudmaster was in Weir & Sons Grafton St. The Rangeman was a jeweller in Cork city centre, I can't remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hi all... not sure where to put this, but I lost my G-shock Mudman 9300 .... pretty sure I lost it going through airport security in Houston...

anyone come across any for sale over here recently? They are available on amazon, just thought I would check this forum first.

it was 10 years old going strong.... never an issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I could have written that.

The M5610 is such a perfect everyday watch. I find I wear it quite often now, simply due to the fact that I know its always exactly the right time.

My Boldr gets a lot of wrist time too, but the timekeeping ain't great on it.

I see argos have €25 off the m5610 at present

Great watch, gshock with a suit is surprising common in my line of work. Lot of engineers in the office were gshock, usually to give the impression they're not to far away from field work. Smart watch most popular by a mile still though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Not sure what field your in but Engineer that works for my company wears a sub .I’m telling him on Monday he gets paid too much .

We employ hundreds of engineers. Never seen a sub on anyone, never mind engineers, not on anyone involved on any project. Gshock and smart watch would be 90% of watches

Post edited by Cienciano on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭scwazrh

You Should pay them more so :)

Joke obviously.The value of a watch on a persons wrist has no relevance to their wealth.In my experience any proper wealthy people I know wouldn't spend any more than a few hundred on a watch and usually only have one watch until it’s fit for the bin.

I think the black sub is probably the most common real watch I see out and about .Was in a garage this morning and salesman was wearing one , went for a couple of drinks last night in the local and the lad at table beside me was wearing one.But smart watches do seem to be the most common wrist wear .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Said it before, in another decade or two, only about 1% of folk will wear a non-smart watch. Maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yep. My Garmin has cuckoo kicked all my other watches outta the nest. Don't wear any of them anymore. Except once about every 3 weeks when it needs charging and it annoys me to miss out on that day's data.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 2 of my mates have garmins, both into their marathon running. Crazy amount of features and pretty cool looking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

More than anything else I think it's the "where the hell is my sh@gging phone??!" feature I couldn't do without. 2 button presses of the watch and my phone chimes (invariably from one of my pockets but still...) 🙄

Lol, thats handy. Amazing what features become handy. My phone has an infrared on it so i can use it as a remote control for the tv. I use the phone more than the actual remote control because I can never actually find the remote

Advertisement