Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

robotics course

Options
  • 09-08-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

hi all

just putting together a robotics course for next term just wondering has anyone resources or done something similar?

the original plan is it will be completed over 10 weeks and may tie in with the new computer science subject:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Might be worth looking at the VEX robotics and FLL robotics competition resources online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Would some of the genie board stuff suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

hi all

just putting together a robotics course for next term just wondering has anyone resources or done something similar?

the original plan is it will be completed over 10 weeks and may tie in with the new computer science subject:)

What resources do you have ready to work with?!....,.you could look into the structure/resources of a summer “tech-camp” and base it from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Maybe a lecture on ROS?

Or any motion simulation software?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

hi all

Robot arm kinematics, Denavit-Hartenberg parameters, etc. is a classic area with decent books and resources if you don't mind a chunk of linear algebra.

Visual SLAM could be an interesting direction too.

Robotics is pretty broad. What's the standard/year/major of the students?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That looks pretty do-able. It Might be a bit costly getting all the materials from Amazon. Maybe chance AliBaba if you have a few weeks to spare, although their shipping is getting a bit quicker.

Edit: Some of the Amazon links for the hardware seem to be old/down but when you click on another product (like the rubber bands!) the 'Sponsored products related to this item' show an alternative.

where do people get parts (I have about 1 month time window)?
    • Amazon is pricey enough but dependable
    • Alibaba is cheap as chips but can I rely 100% on delivery this year? Plus will customs demand duty be paid?
    • There's inbetween sites like tomtop etc that european warehouses but peoples reviews are often not good
    • and of course Ireland somewhere. But I'm not filthy rich. I could ask the school to pay but haven't the patience to wait 10 years.

This is the list of the stuff I need for the robotic hand.
    Half of it I can 'reappropriate' from the schools stationary, maintenance and other subject classrooms:D. It's more so for the electronics

Rubber bands (size #16) 
    Velostat sheet (pressure sensitive conductive plastic)
    Copper tape
    Wire solid core (WHS22-09-100) 
    Mini breadboard (55 holes)
    Piece of cardboard (or empty cereal box)
    Metric ruler
    Scissors
    Clear tape
    Hole punch
    Wire strippers
    Breadboard jumper wires
    100 Ohm Resistors
    Breadboard (5cm x 3.5cm)
    USB Cable for Arduino 
    Arduino Uno 
    Giant drinking straw 1/2 inch diameter) 
    Dacron fiber line
    Micro servo motor
    Extra large rubber bands (size #170) 
    Felt
    Hot glue gun
    Cardboard
    Scissors
    Clear tape
    Marker
    5 volt power supply
    Solderless breadboard jumper wires
    Electrical tape (red and black)
    Pin header strip

There's links to amazon stores here https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=D1EAAFC0BDFA320E!4601&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AOkhrCQmNYBPLys

I'm not really looking for a breakdown, just general advice as to where other people purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

eBay. Narrow the search to items in europe.

There's a few resellers around that are hceao enough.

Adverts. Theres a seller called estmx in Santry.
    Irish Electronics is down in Passage West, Cork.

Try farnell, rs components.

Try the physics room, I found a load of breadboards LEDs, resistors etc in there that hasn't seen daylight in years.

Technology room too, possibly has loads of stuff away in a press that the teacher doesn't even know about..

• Advertisement

eBay. Narrow the search to items in europe.

There's a few resellers around that are hceao enough.

Adverts. Theres a seller called estmx in Santry.
    Irish Electronics is down in Passage West, Cork.

Cool thanks I forgot about ebay

Try farnell, rs components.

Try the physics room, I found a load of breadboards LEDs, resistors etc in there that hasn't seen daylight in years.

Technology room too, possibly has loads of stuff away in a press that the teacher doesn't even know about..

It'll be like Mission Impossible getting into the physics storeroom without being rumbled. I'd need to pick the locks of 3 doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

....Considering offering Robotics as an extra curricular activity sometime this year,.....but I’ve got a good few bits in place and wouldn’t think of it otherwise.....key to the program would be the students having access’s to a programming app on their iPads but I’m not confirming anything until all the pieces are in place....it’s something where you’ll really have to have resources in place before you start.

It'll be like Mission Impossible getting into the physics storeroom without being rumbled. I'd need to pick the locks of 3 doors.

Rumbled! Haven't heard that in a while.

How about you ask the physics teacher?

Advertisement