Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving Brexit

• 09-08-2018 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

As we seem to be moving steadily towards a hard Brexit I’m thinking about what household items I should start to stockpile ahead of March 29th 2019. I think we should be fine here for most food stuffs, you might not get your first choice brand but maybe we should be buying Irish or European products as much as possible in the run-up to the Big Day. One of my concerns would be for cleaning products, toiletries etc., many of which come from the UK. It might be helpful if retail outlets had “UK” and “non-UK” items separately displayed.
    Spare parts for utility machines could be a problem but it’s hard to predict what will breakdown next! Car parts for some models might also be an issue.
    I’m assuming that big stuff like the electricity interconnector and the gas pipelines will continue to operate. Although I note that the government is already moving our strategic oil reserves from Wales to Continental Europe.
    Have I left anything out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭ Jocelyn Damaged Walnut

GreyEagle wrote: »
    As we seem to be moving steadily towards a hard Brexit I’m thinking about what household items I should start to stockpile ahead of March 29th 2019. I think we should be fine here for most food stuffs, you might not get your first choice brand but maybe we should be buying Irish or European products as much as possible in the run-up to the Big Day. One of my concerns would be for cleaning products, toiletries etc., many of which come from the UK. It might be helpful if retail outlets had “UK” and “non-UK” items separately displayed.
    Spare parts for utility machines could be a problem but it’s hard to predict what will breakdown next! Car parts for some models might also be an issue.
    I’m assuming that big stuff like the electricity interconnector and the gas pipelines will continue to operate. Although I note that the government is already moving our strategic oil reserves from Wales to Continental Europe.
    Have I left anything out?

Toilet paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Toilet paper?

We will certainly need lots of that to clean up the mess after Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doesn't a big stash of toilet paper go without saying if your prepping?

Delivery takes ages but I often get car parts from Germany and I don't see how that is going to change post hard brexit, unless the postal system and customs are all going to pot?

Edit> Just to add to the premise of the thread, the question could also be asked which could you stockpile to barter with post hard brexit? The same question gets asked for TEOTWAWKI S&SS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is commentary in the SHTF thread. Realistically we would have as few weeks max of disruption and may have to change to some continental brands. GB and especially NI face much harder transitions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Is diesel likely to be impacted in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Medicines.

Stock up on your prescription medicines in particular as there will definitely be a shortage of some medicines after about 6 months. Many drugs have what is called dual packs that allow the same pack to be placed on the UK and Irish market. Unless there is an agreement, this won't be allowed after Brexit. Ireland is a very small market and many manufacturers will not be bothered to print specific packs for Ireland only.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

my3cents wrote: »
    Doesn't a big stash of toilet paper go without saying if your prepping?

No. Leaves, or rags that can be reused after washing . There was clean life before tissue... same as with sanitary protection. Rags, washed. used each month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Brexit is never going to happen!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just doing some very soft preperations for this as I think we're not likely to face much more than price rises and very temporary shortages of stome stuff

- house still has a fireplace, tiny/decorative but functional so I've ensured there's sufficient solid fuel and firelighters should there be a day or two of gas or electrical interruptions

- have my winter levels of stock of canned/dry ingredients (pulses, veg, etc) that can make functional if rather boring vegeterian meals for two for probably two weeks. Have the bog roll etc for the same time period too!

- have tank gas and the conversion kit to put my hob back to tank gas (used that before the house got mains gas) as well as a decent patio gas grill + hob; with sufficient tanks for both to last many many mealtimes.

In the absolute worst case scenarios, we still have free trade with the entire rest of the EU, very good air freight capacity and the entire EU wanting to make the UK suffer and us be fine so we'll just get stuff in by air freight or slower sea freight avoiding the landbridge. Waterford and Rosslare ports have significant spare container and ro-ro capacity etc. We can supply our power needs without the interconnectors, just vastly more expensively.

Its the UK that could be in bits, though - our Northern posters may need to look at more serious preparations.

If you stockpile anything perishable, no matter how long the date - always keep using the oldest and replenishing. This applies to normal life, we are going to continue having what used to be unusual weather e.g. snow in March like today and severe storms so having some stocks is a good idea - but use and replenish - don't store rotting food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

L1011 wrote:
    This applies to normal life, we are going to continue having what used to be unusual weather e.g. snow in March like today and severe storms so having some stocks is a good idea - but use and replenish - don't store rotting food.

There's nothing unusual about snow in march or storms. But being prepared in general is sound advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

L1011 wrote:
    This applies to normal life, we are going to continue having what used to be unusual weather e.g. snow in March like today and severe storms so having some stocks is a good idea - but use and replenish - don't store rotting food.

There's nothing unusual about snow in march or storms. But being prepared in general is sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Brexit is just an anti establishment backlash. Aspirational at best.

After that all will be well unless you are a UK brand junkie.

Exporters and importers will be concerned though. I really thought UK had more brains than to go for hard Brexit. But hey. They seem to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Living in North Down. Just herself and myself - we don't drive.

Anyone know where on internet we can get sensible advice about what we will face in six months' time?

Will there be massive queues at the ports resulting in food and general supply problems? Home heating oil? Situation with North/South rail travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Iderown wrote: »
    Living in North Down. Just herself and myself - we don't drive.

Anyone know where on internet we can get sensible advice about what we will face in six months' time?

Will there be massive queues at the ports resulting in food and general supply problems? Home heating oil? Situation with North/South rail travel?

id imagine you definitely wont starve as the country as a whole produces enough food but you wont have the same choice as before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    id imagine you definitely wont starve as the country as a whole produces enough food but you wont have the same choice as before.

Shop in Aldi or Lidl then you get used to not having much choice.

Advertisement