Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender Opinions?

Options
  • 09-08-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey all!
    I've been trying to deal with gender dysphoria for a while and I've been super scared to come out. It's really hard to even construct a sentence about it in front of my mam.
    I firstly wanted to know if any of you had suggestions for coming out. Maybe share your story on coming out if you've had to in the past.

Secondly, I'd like your opinion on transgender people in general. I won't get offended, promise :)
    I've just been going back and forth from getting close to telling people to not telling them after hearing the words they used to describe trans individuals. Tranny, men who pretend to be women, traps etc. Not nice stuff.

Do you support transgender people? 28 votes

Yep!
    0% 0 votes
    Nah.
    100% 28 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'll make this very simple OP - be yourself! Be who you are and damn those who insist you are otherwise. Your mental health can be a fragile thing, and pretending to be someone you're not is a great strain on it. I am infinitely happier now than before I came out. I'm more confident, and in some ways a nicer person to be around (in other ways I'm just my usual self).

In fact, I can say that when I went into town to collect my enrolled deed poll documents at the end of Jan 2017 was the first time in a long while that I felt truly happy.

As for coming out, my way was to be open with a trusted confidente. Someone who I (almost certainly) knew would accept me just for being me. Though there does come a point where you have to just say "this is who I am - get used to it" and hope for the best.

(As for your poll - it's kinda redundant in the LGBT forum, and well, I voted yes, but if I can't support myself, can I ask anyone else to support me? Though your last comment about things said about trans people does stand out in this way: Some people are assholes. They'll always be assholes about everything because that's what assholes do. It can be hard to ignore it sometimes, but remember that assholes are an even more endangered minority than trans people, and the vast majority of people you encounter have no issues with trans people whatsoever)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

I will always defend to the death the inclusion of the T in LGBT. It seems with our newfound rights and social acceptance in recent years some of us are keen to forget about the T. Rest assured, there's still a lot of support in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

have you had a professional diagnosis of gender dysphoria?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jaid3n

have you had a professional diagnosis of gender dysphoria?

Not professional. Too scared to come out so I can get a session with a therapist.

breatheme wrote: »
    I will always defend to the death the inclusion of the T in LGBT. It seems with our newfound rights and social acceptance in recent years some of us are keen to forget about the T. Rest assured, there's still a lot of support in the community.

Cool to hear that! Happy to hear from some LGBTQ+ people from Ireland and their support :)

• Advertisement

I'll make this very simple OP - be yourself! Be who you are and damn those who insist you are otherwise. Your mental health can be a fragile thing, and pretending to be someone you're not is a great strain on it. I am infinitely happier now than before I came out. I'm more confident, and in some ways a nicer person to be around (in other ways I'm just my usual self).

In fact, I can say that when I went into town to collect my enrolled deed poll documents at the end of Jan 2017 was the first time in a long while that I felt truly happy.

As for coming out, my way was to be open with a trusted confidente. Someone who I (almost certainly) knew would accept me just for being me. Though there does come a point where you have to just say "this is who I am - get used to it" and hope for the best.

(As for your poll - it's kinda redundant in the LGBT forum, and well, I voted yes, but if I can't support myself, can I ask anyone else to support me? Though your last comment about things said about trans people does stand out in this way: Some people are assholes. They'll always be assholes about everything because that's what assholes do. It can be hard to ignore it sometimes, but remember that assholes are an even more endangered minority than trans people, and the vast majority of people you encounter have no issues with trans people whatsoever)

Really nice to hear your story. I have told some close people, but I've said very little, summing it up to "gender issues". I am still currently building the courage to say anything to my parents but I appreciate the well thought out reply. As for the poll, I do know its redundant in the LGBT forum now that I think of it. I never thought of it never reaching the broader demographic of the forum. But still nice to see a majority vote on yes. My mind keeps looking at the negative number though, I'm a very sensitive person who can take a million compliments yet still be hurt by a single insult.

Thank you! :)

Jaid3n wrote: »
    Not professional. Too scared to come out so I can get a session with a therapist.

Your going to your GP and discussing it with them does not mean having to come out to anyone but them, and there is going to be serious professional detachment from them anyway, not to mention confidentiality.

It may be scary, but sometimes the best course of action is really to feel the fear and do it anyway.

Your going to your GP and discussing it with them does not mean having to come out to anyone but them, and there is going to be serious professional detachment from them anyway, not to mention confidentiality.

It may be scary, but sometimes the best course of action is really to feel the fear and do it anyway.

I'm under 18. I don't think I can do much without needing parents involvement.
    Are you trans? I'd like to know if you came out before you turned over 18 or did you wait until you were over 18? Personal question, I know. No need to answer if you don't want to :)

Jaid3n wrote: »
    I'm under 18. I don't think I can do much without needing parents involvement.
    Are you trans? I'd like to know if you came out before you turned over 18 or did you wait until you were over 18? Personal question, I know. No need to answer if you don't want to :)

Ah, the under 18 thing can complicate things, that’s for sure!

I am indeed trans. Knew long before 18, but didn’t actually act on it until I was over 18. It worked out for me, but your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mod

I have closed the poll and made it non public voting as it was a tad unfair for it to be public

I'm not really sure what purpose it serves either

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement