Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get electrician for small job!

Options
  • 09-08-2018 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Just having a rant. Why is it so hard to get an electrician to do a small job? The timer on my immersion heater died and I can't get anyone willing to come and put in a new one. The boom is definitely back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Sorry to hear that, but the reality is that probably everyone is just really, really busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Try findatradesman.ie was in the same boat a while back..
    No one interested in small stuff at the moment.
    You post up details and interested tradesmen will contact you....sometimes it can be a maintenance company who then sub contracts job out but at least it might it done for you...good luck

Try findatradesman.ie was in the same boat a while back..
    No one interested in small stuff at the moment.
    You post up details and interested tradesmen will contact you....sometimes it can be a maintenance company who then sub contracts job out but at least it might it done for you...good luck
    I'm not sure who findatradesman.ie are - it doesn't seem to exist. Nonetheless, I certainly wouldn't advise going to these middle-man sites. It's unlikely to achieve anything other than costing you more as the tradesman will have to recover his fees to the site from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Sorry my error...it's www.tradesman.ie
    And no it's not ideal but I spent 3 weeks chasing several electricians to try get a small job done and none were interested. So yes I did pay over the odds for the job but it was done within 24 hours of contact being made. So I guess it depends how urgent it is and what you are willing to pay. That said in you're area you might have independent trades people contact you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Just having a rant. Why is it so hard to get an electrician to do a small job? The timer on my immersion heater died and I can't get anyone willing to come and put in a new one. The boom is definitely back.

People are busy, years back people were happy to do nixers for cash but that’s been discouraged now and most lads I know hate nixers as they are rarely worth the hassle. Your job is a straight swap and as handy as they are likely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I advise everyone to stay away from tradesmen sites. Tradesmen ideally should be recommended particularly electricians.

OP you are looking for a tradesman during the holiday period. My own electrician is away till September.

As soon as it gets cold the plumbing forum is full of posters giving out that they can't get someone to look at their boiler. Now is the time for a service. Not when you turn on the heating & it doesn't work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sorry you can’t get someone, I emphasize.

Small jobs generally don’t pay. When an electrician charges enough to make it worthwhile customers often get annoyed so when there is a chronic shortage of electricians this sort of work is frequently avoided.

Perhaps if you can get a few things done at once it may be more tempting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in Cork city so you'd imagine there should be an electrician available but no luck. Will persevere and eventually someone will turn up. Meanwhile running the oil heating boiler in the mornings to give us shower water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Meanwhile running the oil heating boiler in the mornings to give us shower water.

That is cheaper that using an immersion particularly if you can do this without heating the rads. From a cost perspective anything electricaly is best avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Same here to find someone to repair a single storage heater , looking for more than a year now
    Nobody interested , no time or say they will come and wait for them but nobody shows up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Same here to find someone to repair a single storage heater , looking for more than a year now
    Nobody interested , no time or say they will come and wait for them but nobody shows up

Where?

kramer1 wrote: »

Where?
    I'm guessing Crossmolina, Co. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

kramer1 wrote: »
    Where?

Co Mayo

Advertisement