Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not many timetabled hours?

Options
  • 09-08-2018 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

I was offered my 1st full-time contract in Ireland this summer (having previosly taught in England) and I just got my timetable. I have have 14 timetables hours, 2 of which are in fact study periods. Is that normal? Obviously it's great not to be overworked and I'll have to do supervision etc. but I'm just curious as to whether or not that's usual, it's not much more than I was doing as a casual part-timer last year...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

openup wrote: »
    Hi,

I was offered my 1st full-time contract in Ireland this summer (having previosly taught in England) and I just got my timetable. I have have 14 timetables hours, 2 of which are in fact study periods. Is that normal? Obviously it's great not to be overworked and I'll have to do supervision etc. but I'm just curious as to whether or not that's usual, it's not much more than I was doing as a casual part-timer last year...

You would more than likely be doing resource or team teaching of some sort to fill the additional hours. There's zero chance of being left free while being paid for these hours.

But have you actually signed a contract for full hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Yes, my contract states fixed-term full-time (up to 22 hours). I was initially told that I was unlikely to have 22 but it would be somewhere between 18-21. Also, I've only been timetabled for one of the two subjects I offer (my preferred subject, so again no issues there, it just seems odd).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

They'll prob top it up with subbing if you they don't add on anymore to your timetable. Congratulations ! Enjoy your time off before the fun starts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe there are more hours to be filled in like resource which won't be sorted until you start. Have you asked the principal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Unless your timetable is being filled with learning support, it is unlikely you will be paid for 22 hours if you are only working 14 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd keep looking if you're not tied to an area anyway.
    Assurances mean nothing.
    If you get something better with a real contract in hand then asset least they can cough up.
    If you leave it till mid September they'll fob you off.

Assurances mean nothing.
    If you get something better with a real contract in hand then asset least they can cough up.

I signed a full-time contract months ago. This is just my timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ok thanks. As long as you have 18-22 in writing then it should be fine.
    For the other posters here, if it says 18-22hr's Full-time then you have to be paid the full 22hrs, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

They are probably going to fill the rest of the timetable with resource hours in September. I’m CID 22 hours and when I get the timetable it always has about 18 hours filled in and the rest is resource which is sorted later on. I wouldn’t worry too much but maybe you could email your P/DP to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

For the other posters here, if it says 18-22hr's Full-time then you have to be paid the full 22hrs, yes?

No that situation is only for a CID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Assurances mean nothing.

You don't sign a full time contract. You fill in the number of RPT hours. Did you see 22 hours on it?

My contract doesn't say RPT anywhere on it, just Fixed-term Full time. Later it states full-time up to 22 hours. I will contact the deputy tomorrow as none of this is clear to me. I didn't realise I would be paid hourly. I assumed that if I was timetabled a couple of hours less it didn't matter as I was "full-time" as this was the case in the UK. I realise that might sound stupid to some of you but I suppose coming from a different system I assumed it'd be that way. This is really disappointing.

EDIT: I got myself a bit wound up there. I need to talk to the deputy or principal before panicking, I realise that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Join a union. Have them review your contract. There is an agreed contract layout. What you have does not sound like it. In my experience at branch level in TUI at least 50% of contracts issued by ETB and checked by union on request are not the agreed format but they change it as soon as it is highlighted. Chancing their arm as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Join a union. Have them review your contract. There is an agreed contract layout. What you have does not sound like it. In my experience at branch level in TUI at least 50% of contracts issued by ETB and checked by union on request are not the agreed format but they change it as soon as it is highlighted. Chancing their arm as always.

Agree whole-heartily with this. There is an agreed layout for contracts. Check with a union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My contract doesn't say RPT anywhere on it, just Fixed-term Full time. Later it states full-time up to 22 hours. I will contact the deputy tomorrow as none of this is clear to me. I didn't realise I would be paid hourly. I assumed that if I was timetabled a couple of hours less it didn't matter as I was "full-time" as this was the case in the UK. I realise that might sound stupid to some of you but I suppose coming from a different system I assumed it'd be that way. This is really disappointing.

EDIT: I got myself a bit wound up there. I need to talk to the deputy or principal before panicking, I realise that!

Get this checked ASAP. I’d be very wary of ‘full time up to 22hrs’ in case it’s a cop out giving the maximum but not the minimum

Advertisement