Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket with built in nightlights?

Options
  • 09-08-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever see anything like this only with UK/IE sockets?

https://goo.gl/images/8TxwMT

Is there any reason they wouldn’t be useable here? Any regulations preventing use like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Never saw anything like that here. Are they activated by motion or do they just light up when it's dark and stay on?

I have these lads on the upstairs landing, they have motion sensors and light up as soon as someone steps out of a bedroom which allows a person to find the bathroom without switching on the light in their own bedroom or on the landing. You can buy them in multipacks so can install them anywhere around the house where you want night-time illumination....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beams-Battery-Powered-Motion-Sensing-Stick-Anywhere-Nightlight/dp/B002FCGI8Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1533772639&sr=1-5&keywords=mr+beams+motion+sensor+light

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

coylemj wrote: »
    Never saw anything like that here. Are they activated by motion or do they just light up when it's dark and stay on?

I have these lads on the upstairs landing, they have motion sensors and light up as soon as someone steps out of a bedroom which allows a person to find the bathroom without switching on the light in their own bedroom or on the landing. You can buy them in multipacks so can install them anywhere around the house where you want night-time illumination....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beams-Battery-Powered-Motion-Sensing-Stick-Anywhere-Nightlight/dp/B002FCGI8Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1533772639&sr=1-5&keywords=mr+beams+motion+sensor+light

They have a light sensor. Come on as it gets dark and go off as it gets bright.

I think they’re a great idea. Keep the sockets free and a permenant solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

If you look at how they work - you replace the original faceplate with the new clip-on one, it has two prongs that clip onto the power connectors of the wall plug. The design of IRE/UK sockets usually won't allow for faceplate to be removed and power connectors to be exposed like that.
    Its a cute idea. But i'd be afraid average Joe Bloggs electrocuting himself....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I did notice that. I wonder if it’d be possible to manufacture UK/IE ones with the LEDs embedded and powered directly from the mains. It should be a reasonable easy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Nice idea!

• Advertisement
Advertisement