Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My car was rear ended. But my car's tax and nct are out of date

Options
  • 09-08-2018 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. I was rear ended the other day at traffic lights. The collision was minor but my bumper was cracked and needs replacing. They guy that hit me was a novice driver and only start driving. He asked me not to claim of insurance which I agreed to but told him it needed repair so he said send him a quote. I got 2 quotes. One from local body shop and a main dealer. I gave him cheaper price of local shop but now he's not happy with price and is low balling me with stupid offers. I told him price is fair and sent him the price of main dealer aswel to show him in not taking the piss. He's messing me around now so will have to go through his insurance. Only issue I have is my tax and nct expired by a few months. Would his insurance company try weasel out of paying me because of tax.and nct. Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I don't think you have anything to worry about re Tax & NCT making your claim against his insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Daveh80 wrote: »
    Would his insurance company try weasel out of paying me because of tax.and nct. Any help is appreciated

No, none of their business. The other driver's liability is not diminished or affected in the slightest by your lack of NCT, especially for a rear-ender where your vehicle was stationary. And tax is totally none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would the lack of an NCT ( especially if it's out for a while ) not reduce the value of the vehicle and move it closer to beyond economical repair territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would the lack of an NCT ( especially if it's out for a while ) not reduce the value of the vehicle and move it closer to beyond economical repair territory?

Only if you put it in for test and it fails.

Either way, how is the other's guy's insurance to know the NCT status of the OP's car?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Give him one more opportunity to pay up and then straight on to the insurance to claim.I hate cheeky ***** like that,you were doing him a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

No tax and no nct should only be an issue on the day if gardai arrived and noticed same..however you should have reported this accident immediately to your insurance company. And now he would think twice about questioning the quote to repair ..but now your insurance company will want to know why it wasn't reported on the day.. if you're car was properly in order. Wrong or Wright I would always call a gardai as an independent witness otherwise stories and numbers of passengers etc etc can start moving about..also a gardai presence would ensure that if he was messing later he would get a visit from them. Contacting insurance now is your first route inmo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

coylemj wrote: »

Either way, how is the other's guy's insurance to know the NCT status of the OP's car?

Last claim I had processed for a theft and write off, specifically had a question asking if the car had a current NCT. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't ask if it meant they could reduce the value of a claim or write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

coylemj wrote: »

In the event of situations where the vehicle is a write-off, the 3rd party's insurer will assess the OP's vehicle to determine it's pre-accident value. The lack of NCT will affect it's market value

Advertisement