Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel in Reykjavik, Iceland

Options
  • 08-08-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi there, can anyone recommend a centrally located nice hotel in Reykjavik, My dad (in his 70's) wants to go for a few days next month in particular to see the northern lights, hopefully somewhere that would arrange excursions, have nice restaurants nearby, Ive looked at a few online but suggestions from someone that has been there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

We stayed in the Centre Hotel Plaza last year for a couple of nights. It's not the most luxurious but location wise couldn't be better, right in the centre of town, walking distance to everything. Centre Hotels are a chain and have hotels all over the city. The Radisson Blu is also very centrally located. Be aware it's a very expensive country but wow, I'd love to go back.

Hope your dad gets to see the Northern Lights. We were there when it was almost 24 hour daylight which was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We stayed in a place called the City Park Hotel I. March 2017. We got 3 nights BB for €505. Hotel was small but new and comfortable. It was a bit of a trek into the main strip where are all the night life is but it was good value considering how bloody expensive the place is. Mind you we didn’t have much time for hanging around anyway, you just want a place to sleep and grab a shower in the morning.

There’s a crowd called Reykjavik Excursions. We booked all our trips through them and I’d highly recommend them. They will pick you up from almost hotels in a minibus where they bring you to the depot where you get on a big bus. We did the Northern Lights, the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon - nearly time to go home then.

I would advise that you book the Northern Lights tour for the first night because of you don’t see them they’ll give you a pass for another trip the following night. The night we saw them they were spectacular. Also, you need to have some good photography skills for taking pictures - didn’t realize until we got out to the viewing area. Thankfully the Reykjavik Excursions guide had her own camera and kit. She uploads the photos to the company Facebook page so we got some amazing photos of us with the lights swooshing overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hunnybunny100

That great, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think it’s a decent time for whale watching too if that was something that ye might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I think it’s a decent time for whale watching too if that was something that ye might be interested in.

If there are any left after the Icelandic hunters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

vicwatson wrote: »
    If there are any left after the Icelandic hunters

I believe few of them still left.

The best place for Whale Watching in Iceland is Husavik. North of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We stayed at "Hotel Reykjavik Centrum" and the location is perfect as the name suggests. Nice simple hotel with a really nice bar/lounge and convenient parking if needed. The breakfast included is excellent.

Advertisement