Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading light on socket circuit?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I want to put a reading light on my wall (single bulb with a switch on the fitting).

I can wire it into the lighting circuit and if I have to that's fine, but...

It'll be right above a socket and it would be much handier to tie it in there.

Is there a safe/permitted way for me to this?

Take a spur straight off the socket?

Spur to FCU and then on to the light?

Something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I would respectfully suggest that if you do not know the answer to this then you cannot possibly be competent to carry out this work. I would advise that you contact a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

jhenno78 wrote: »
    I want to put a reading light on my wall (single bulb with a switch on the fitting).

I can wire it into the lighting circuit and if I have to that's fine, but...

It'll be right above a socket and it would be much handier to tie it in there.

Is there a safe/permitted way for me to this?

Take a spur straight off the socket?

Spur to FCU and then on to the light?

Something else?
    This is correct approach, as there will be an implicit change in the cable size. 
    You could of course just plug the light into the socket using a plug

Advertisement