Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia student, can I sub?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can sub in a primary school while I do the Masters in primary education in Hibernia? I left a voicemail in the department of education last week but nobody has come back to me yet. Also is the daily rate as per the into website? Looks to be around €160-€170 a day. Is that correct for an unqualified teaching student? I will have a big childcare bill while I am doing this course so I’m hoping I can sub a day or two a week while I’m doing the course. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Register with the Teaching Council under Further Education using form REG-01. Then yes you can sub. You will be paid the unqualified rate. That's €127 per day. I don't know whether you're likely to get that much subbing - may depend on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks very much for your reply. I live in Cork City so hopefully this would increase my chances. I would hope to do 2 days subbing per week in the weeks where I would have no teaching practice. I wonder would I get that. So maybe 50 teaching days in the first academic year and 30 days in the second academic year. Would I get that much subbing? If it’s not a runner it’s not the end of the world but I don’t want to commit to childcare and then get no subbing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cork would have quite a lot of qualified primary teachers. Are you tied to the city? Financially, I wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Of course you can try but keep in mind that there still a lot of qualified teachers looking for sub work ahead of you. Don't rely on subbing. Can you get a part time retail job for weekends at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

A lot of my friends in Dublin who did primary teaching courses were being begged by teachers to fill in for days subbing this year, not sure what the situation is like in cork however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement