Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir connection and home network advice

Options
  • 08-08-2018 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi there everyone.

I was looking for some advice/peace of mind from those of you more accustomed to new connections/network wiring. Apologies, i have already posted this in the Eir "board" but i feel here is probably more appropriate

Let me try to explain, an engineer is due tomorrow to connect our new house to the Eir box/manhole at the road. There's a conduit/cable run already there for them to use and this terminates in the little side "cabinet" on the outside of the house, down the side.

When the house was built i had them put in an ethernet/CAT5e network. There is a pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) going from the cabinet outside. on the side of the house, to a "hole in the wall" under the stairs inside. One of these cables is a spare.

In the "hole in the wall" under the stairs there's an additional pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) that run up to the attic and are terminated to a patch panel which is, in turn. connected to my switch.

I hope this makes sense so far. I suppose my question is, will the engineer be able to plate off the "hole in the wall" under the stairs in such a way so that my ethernet network is "live" and connected to th broadband network. I do see us having he Eir mode/router located under the stairs, btw. Am also happy to provide clarification on any point, if needed. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi there everyone.

I was looking for some advice/peace of mind from those of you more accustomed to new connections/network wiring. Apologies, i have already posted this in the Eir "board" but i feel here is probably more appropriate

Let me try to explain, an engineer is due tomorrow to connect our new house to the Eir box/manhole at the road. There's a conduit/cable run already there for them to use and this terminates in the little side "cabinet" on the outside of the house, down the side.

When the house was built i had them put in an ethernet/CAT5e network. There is a pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) going from the cabinet outside. on the side of the house, to a "hole in the wall" under the stairs inside. One of these cables is a spare.

In the "hole in the wall" under the stairs there's an additional pair of CAT5e cables (unterminated) that run up to the attic and are terminated to a patch panel which is, in turn. connected to my switch.

I hope this makes sense so far. I suppose my question is, will the engineer be able to plate off the "hole in the wall" under the stairs in such a way so that my ethernet network is "live" and connected to th broadband network. I do see us having he Eir mode/router located under the stairs, btw. Am also happy to provide clarification on any point, if needed. Thank you in advance

The installers won't touch any internal wiring in your home I believe. It would up to yourself to get that sorted. Is it FTTH (150Mb or above) or FTTC (up to 100Mb) that you have ordered?

I've seen your post in the eir forum. It is FTTC. The modem will be connected to the computer symbol on that faceplate you posted.

This is where I am somewhat confused. Is where the new faceplate located "under the stairs"? If so where are the pair of unterminated Cat5e cables in relation to the faceplate.

Basically what you need to do is make an Ethernet connection from one of the Lan ports on the router you receive to one of the Cat5e cables that run to your attic.

The installers that are coming to your house are not supposed to do this work I believe. They may not even be competent in Ethernet networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 simulacra75

Thanks, i'm not really looking for them to touch any internal wiring, i'd be happy to do the necessary myself. What i am guessing they will do is verify the connection speed, etc and make the connection "live". At that point i imaging there will be an RJ11 socket on the wall, which will be my DSL/internet connection that goes into the Eir "modem". What i was hoping for though, is that they'd faceplate off the connection with an RJ11 "output" and an RJ45 "input", i could then terminate my ethernet cable into this RJ45 wall socket and i'd be good to go, or at least that's how i've been imagining it up to now.

Can't answer the FTTC/FTTH question just yet, awaiting a response from Eir on that and can update later.

Thanks, i'm not really looking for them to touch any internal wiring, i'd be happy to do the necessary myself. What i am guessing they will do is verify the connection speed, etc and make the connection "live". At that point i imaging there will be an RJ11 socket on the wall, which will be my DSL/internet connection that goes into the Eir "modem". What i was hoping for though, is that they'd faceplate off the connection with an RJ11 "output" and an RJ45 "input", i could then terminate my ethernet cable into this RJ45 wall socket and i'd be good to go, or at least that's how i've been imagining it up to now.

Can't answer the FTTC/FTTH question just yet, awaiting a response from Eir on that and can update later.

It is FTTC.

That socket image you posted in the eir forum is your RJ11. It has two RJ11 on it. They definitely won't have a combined RJ11 + RJ45 faceplate. That faceplate that was installed is specifically designed for VDSL (FTTC). It has built in filters to ensure a stable connection. You can't just replace it without issues.

You need a separate Ethernet faceplate beside the eir facplate ideally. I don't know how much cable slack you have available to achieve this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

As Navi asked, where is the new faceplate in relation to 'under the stairs'?

Ideally they would have installed the new faceplate under the stairs, cause now you're either going to have the Eir modem in full view next to the new faceplate (the shorter the distance of phone cable the better), or you're going to have to have to run a new phone cable from there to wherever you want the modem.

• Advertisement

It is FTTC.

That socket image you posted in the eir forum is your RJ11. It has two RJ11 on it. They definitely won't have a combined RJ11 + RJ45 faceplate. That faceplate that was installed is specifically designed for VDSL (FTTC). It has built in filters to ensure a stable connection. You can't just replace it without issues.

You need a separate Ethernet faceplate beside the eir facplate ideally. I don't know how much cable slack you have available to achieve this though.

Thank you sir, that is really helpful, at least now i know what i need to do and may be able to get it done before they even arrive. Have been waiting a long time for broadband, so want the whole network up and running as soon as they hook me up. Thank you again for your time and expertise.

Thank you sir, that is really helpful, at least now i know what i need to do and may be able to get it done before they even arrive. Have been waiting a long time for broadband, so want the whole network up and running as soon as they hook me up. Thank you again for your time and expertise.

I'm assuming that the two Ethernet cables going to your attic are behind that new eir faceplate. If not disregard what I said. You'll also need to ensure you have enough cable slack before you go cutting a hole in your wall.

I'm assuming that the two Ethernet cables going to your attic are behind that new eir faceplate. If not disregard what I said. You'll also need to ensure you have enough cable slack before you go cutting a hole in your wall.

The 2 ethernet cables that go up to the attic (and therefore switch) are indeed behind that Eir faceplate. I "might" be able to get away with not cutting another hole in the wall (wife would divorce me if i suggest it), i'm going to try and get an RJ45 wall plate socket (attached to this post) terminated onto one of the attic cables and tuck it in behind that Eir face place. I can then run a regular patch cable from it to the router, might need to cut a small access gap in the plastic of the faceplate though.

Punched down that RJ45 socket and squeezed it into the hole in the wall. Plugged in the RJ45 patch cable and have it poking out the bottom of the ADSL box. Passed a Fluke test too so I should be good to go I reckon

Punched down that RJ45 socket and squeezed it into the hole in the wall. Plugged in the RJ45 patch cable and have it poking out the bottom of the ADSL box. Passed a Fluke test too so I should be good to go I reckon

Good stuff! Enjoy the new connection!

• Advertisement
Advertisement