Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tent spares

Options
  • 07-08-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

I need some of the metal ferrules that come on the end of tent poles. Would have thought this was a very commonly used item but on phoning round several big shops here they don't do them. All they can offer is complete new poles at a tidy cost.

Looking online one place is doing them but at around a tenner apiece. I need 6 of them and I can't believe the cost for a little metal tube.

Can they be obtained or are you better making your own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

What diameter are your poles?
    Can you post a picture of what you need?
    Where are you based?

I've a heap of old pole sections which you're welcome to if they suit. They're fibreglass so you could easily drill out the pole to get the ferrule.

€10 each seems a bit of a ripoff. It might be worth contacting the manufacturer - some of them are pretty good about replacing poles for little or no cost.
    (these days no cost is rare but no harm asking)
    If you're in Galway, I've recently seen pole sections for sale, €2 each, in what used to be Great Outdoors on Eglington St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Did you search ebay for tent pole ferrule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

tphase wrote: »
    What diameter are your poles?
    Can you post a picture of what you need?
    Where are you based?

I've a heap of old pole sections which you're welcome to if they suit. They're fibreglass so you could easily drill out the pole to get the ferrule.

€10 each seems a bit of a ripoff. It might be worth contacting the manufacturer - some of them are pretty good about replacing poles for little or no cost.
    (these days no cost is rare but no harm asking)
    If you're in Galway, I've recently seen pole sections for sale, €2 each, in what used to be Great Outdoors on Eglington St

Thanks very much, I'm in Dublin so not sure if it's an option though. It's an old cheap tent used for festivals mainly so was looking to do a patch up job.

my3cents wrote: »
    Did you search ebay for tent pole ferrule ?

Just tried that - ferrules still look about a fiver apiece, in fact the complete sections look cheaper. Bit baffling since I was thinking would be just a few pence each, surely they must get broken off and people lose them all the time?

Chelon wrote: »
    Just tried that - ferrules still look about a fiver apiece, in fact the complete sections look cheaper. Bit baffling since I was thinking would be just a few pence each, surely they must get broken off and people lose them all the time?

In fairness, most people don't need to buy 6 at a time! :D

Here, if you're not in a hurry, order from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180807123514&isPremium=y&SearchText=tent+pole+repair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've bought full sections a few times. Even have some spares somewhere. You can cut down the multi sections to the lengths you need to fix most tents. I always get ones from China which take ages to arrive but are normally the cheapest.

A picture and description of what you require might help?

It's just the end piece which pushes onto the end of the pole, this then pushes down onto the peg sticking up from the groundsheet ring, I think it''s a very common arrangement.

Just a little cylinder of metal 9mm diameter, around 50mm long.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I used Plumbers Qualpex pipe one time as a stop gap, Got a foot of it, with the smallest Diameter, and cut it to required length push over the end of the tent pole.
    Worked perfectly well for what was required for a couple of days Camping.

chef wrote: »
    I used Plumbers Qualpex pipe one time as a stop gap, Got a foot of it, with the smallest Diameter, and cut it to required length push over the end of the tent pole.

That's funny, I did exactly the same at the weekend to get me going - just looking for a permanent fix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Chelon wrote: »
    chef wrote: »

That's funny, I did exactly the same at the weekend to get me going - just looking for a permanent fix now.
    Great mind's and all that

• Advertisement
Advertisement