Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 car crash - insurance

Options
  • 07-08-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Quick question in relation to a multi vehicle crash.

Car A and B is stopped in traffic.
    Car C fails to top and crashes into Car B.
    Due to the impact, Car B now crashes into Car A.

Does Car A claim from Car C, or Car B?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Car A claims from Car B and Car B claims from Car C for its own damage plus the damage to Car A.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thats what I assumed. The insurance company have said to claim from Car C. Car C insurance are saying no liability as their driver didnt crash into Car A. Car A insurance want nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

presumably you were car a?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

presumably you were car a?

Not me personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I assume A was at the front of the queue, B was behind A and C was behind B.

If this was to become the subject of litigation the correct procedure is for A to issue proceedings against B and C as co-defendants.

The conventional thinking here is that is not for A to elect as between B and C as to which of them is liable and to what respective degrees. You sue both.

On the bare facts A will get a win. The trial judge will decide the liability issue as between B and C. Technically, B and C sue each other for what is called indemnity and contribution.

The sensible thing is for the insurers of B and C to settle A in full and to argue the matter between themselves. If they cannot agree, everyone puts on a tie and we have a nice day out in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Car A was hit by Car B...Is that not the nub of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Car A was hit by Car B...Is that not the nub of it?

Yes but Car B would not have crashed into car A but for car C crashing into the back of Car B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I’m going through this scenario at the minute except with more vehicles, all claims will be paid by rear most vehicle.

In my case I was hit from behind and hit the car in front. My insurance told me that as long as the driver in front corroborated my story there would be no claim against me, and the rear most vehicle would have to pay out all claims.

Because there was more than 1 vehicle behind me, the insurance of the car that hit me wouldn’t deal with me at all, claiming that the rear most vehicle was liable.

I had to get a solicitor involved to get the ball movng in regards to estimates and assessors andvwhen I told him what happened he only contacted the vehicle at the back’s insurance.

Advertisement