Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

William hill St Ledger 2018

Options
  • 07-08-2018 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

The William Hill-sponsored St Leger is the oldest of the five British flat racing Classics, as well as the longest in trip. Run at Doncaster racecourse and over a distance of 1m6f it’s a race for 3 year-olds only.
    This contest is often targeted by horses that ran in that season’s Great Voltigeur, with 6 of the last 16 winners having ran in that York race before winning this, while in recent years with seen 7 winning favourites in the last 16 runnings.
    Look out for John Gosden-trained horses as this powerful Newmarket stable has won the race three times in the last 16 years, while top Irish handler – Aidan O’Brien has saddled the winner of the St Leger five times, including last year with Capri. Also note any Godolphin-owned entries as they these famous blue silks have won the final English Classic of the season a staggering six times!

Recent St Leger Winners

2017 – Capri (3/1 fav)
    2016 – Harbour Law (22/1)
    2015 – Simple Verse (8/1)
    2014 – Kingston Hill (9/4 fav)
    2013 – Leading Light (7/2 fav)
    2012 – Encke (25/1)
    2011 – Masked Marvel (15/2)
    2010 – Arctic Cosmos (12/1)
    2009 – Mastery (14/1)
    2008 – Conduit (8/1)
    2007 – Lucarno (7/2)
    2006 – Sixties Icon (11/8 fav)
    2005 – Scorpion (10/11 fav)
    2004 – Rule of Law (3/1 jfav)
    2003 – Brian Boru (5/4 fav)
    2002 – Bollin Eric (7/1)

Key St Leger Trends

15/16 – Had 2 or 3 previous career wins
    14/16 – Placed in the top 3 last time out
    13/16 – Placed favourites
    13/16 – Had never raced at Doncaster before
    12/16 – Returned 8/1 or shorter in the betting
    12/16 – Had won a Group race before
    12/16 – Had 4 or 5 previous runs that season
    11/16 – Had won over at least 1m3f before
    10/16 – Had never raced over 1m6f or further before
    10/16 – Winning distance of 1 length or more
    10/16 – Drawn in stall 5 or higher
    9/16 – Officially rated 109 to 115
    9/16 – Won last time out
    7/16 – Winning favourites (1 joint)
    6/16 – Ran in the Great Voltigeur last time out (2 won it)
    4/16 – USA-bred winners
    4/16 – Trained by Aidan O’Brien
    3/16 – Ran in the Gordon Stakes last time out (2 won it)
    3/16 – Trained by John Gosden
    3/16 – Won by a Godolphin-owned horse
    3/16 – Ridden by Frankie Dettori (5 wins in total)
    2/16 – Ridden by William Buick
    2/16 – Ridden by Andrea Atzeni
    2/16 – Winners from stall 1
    Godolphin have won the race 6 times
    Aidan O’Brien has trained 5 winners of the race
    The average winning SP in the last 16 years is 15/2

Aidan O'Brien trains near enough 33 per cent of the entries for the final classic of the season, the William Hill St Leger at Doncaster, and it is always extremely tricky trying to pre-empt which of the Ballydoyle horses are going to turn up.

A lot will depend on how the trial races go in the coming weeks but there is one horse that stands out as having the perfect profile for the race and that is the Oaks winner Forever Together.

She is an extremely strong stayer and there is little doubt that she will improve again upped in trip and when she gets some softer ground underfoot.

At Epsom she looked to have a fight on her hooves running towards the final furlong but ended up winning by over four lengths. That came on soft ground and while she ran just as well when caught close home in the Irish Oaks last week, I'm sure she would appreciate the give underfoot that is usually around in September.

Fillies have always had a good record in the Leger and while O'Brien usually finds a colt or two to run in the race, I don't think he has had a filly that ticks all the boxes as much as Forever Together does.

She would be my main choice by quite some way at this stage but there is always the chance that she doesn't go for the race or something goes wrong, so it makes sense to back another one if ante-post betting is your thing.

Kew Gardens is the obvious O'Brien contender but he misses the King George and I wonder whether he might be the best mile-and-a-half colt in the yard now and so the Arc rather than the Leger will be his main end-of-season aim.

Latrobe could improve again on his Irish Derby win but he clearly enjoyed the run of the race and he's no price now, and as much as I like Wells Farhh Go, he's going for the Voltigeur first and that will be a tough test for him back in trip.

He could easily get beaten there and go on to win the Leger but that doesn't make him a great ante-post betting proposition at third favourite at this stage.

On form Dee Ex Bee has a massive chance, as he beat Roaring Lion and Saxon Warrior when second to Masar in the Derby. However, he has looked to be hating the job on much faster ground since.

He will definitely stay and he could easily bounce back on soft ground in the Autumn but there is a big question mark against him at the moment.

The Pentagon caught the eye from the rear in the Irish Derby but I'm not certain he will stay the trip, so the other one to back is the lightly raced Raymond Tusk, who couldn't have been more impressive in the Listed Glasgow Stakes at Hamilton recently.

He has something to find with the Classic horses but he's only had four runs in his life and he's got progressively better each time. The further he goes the better he seems to be and he certainly wasn't disgraced when beaten under ten lengths in the Eclipse on what was just his third start.

He was trapped on the rail that day over a trip too short but kept on well in the last couple of furlongs and at Hamilton he showed that the Leger trip is what he wants.

Richard Hannon trained Ventura Storm to be second in the Leger after winning the Glasgow Stakes for the same owners and I'm sure Raymond Tusk is a good bit better than him.

from the racing post.

Thought I would get the ball rolling early....

DELANO ROOSEVELT for me but not backed it yet will wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Huge confidence in The Pentagon in this. He ran on well after being held up in the irish derby, that wasnt run to suit a hold up horse.

Wish he was a bigger price than 14/1, but if he is that nearer the day after declarations ill be partaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭del roy

I will keep him in mind Aidan, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

+1 for The Pentagon here, step up to this trip should see a fair whack of improvement, 14/1 looked fine to me tbh, hopefully Kew Gardens goes elsewhere and will be going off FAV

Lads
    i just put up an article from the post, don't know if I allowed post that on here.

am I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

del roy wrote: »
    Lads
    i just put up an article from the post, don't know if I allowed post that on here.

am I ?

Think you are once you give credit to the source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I wouldn't share the boards enthusiasm for The Pentagon's chances of winning the race, not until he runs well in a good trial for it anyway. The moment to get on him as a Leger bet would be immediately before he is a definite runner in a serious trial for it. I'd imagine that way you'd be far less likely to be backing a non-runner in the Leger.

It's early days for figuring out who will run in it. Races like the Great Voltigeur at York and last week's Gordon Stakes along with the Bahrain Trophy at Newmarket and the Queen's Vase and the King Edward Stakes at Ascot are the kind of races that supply the serious Leger contenders year in year out.

Trainers that target the race and have the firepower are Gosden, O'Brien, Stoute and maybe Joseph O'Brien will crash the party with Latrobe. Also Godolphin are strong this year and they target this race. It could be well worth thinking about why their brilliant Gordon Stakes winner is bypassing the St Leger. Have they an able sub waiting in the wings?

There's a lot of digesting to be done before the shape of the likely result becomes clear. Of O'Brien horse's Kew Gardens has the right profile winning the Gp1 Grand Prix De Paris just as Scorpion had done, he's also won the Gp2 Queen's Vase which was won by Leading Light another one of O'Brien's Leger winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I had Southern France in mind for this. But it's early days yet.

I'm sick of betting the Pentagon so will be happy to take him on. He hasn't really improved from his 2yo form for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/saxon-warrior-out-to-tame-lion-as-he-heads-a-strong-obrien-york-challenge/342546

Kew Gardens confirmed for the Great Voltigeur, will probably be joined by The Pentagon and Flag of Honour

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

The Easterby horse wins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Can we correct the spelling of the race name in the thread title please, it's really bothering my OCD tendencies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

aidankkk wrote: »
    Huge confidence in The Pentagon in this. He ran on well after being held up in the irish derby, that wasnt run to suit a hold up horse.

Wish he was a bigger price than 14/1, but if he is that nearer the day after declarations ill be partaking

Absolutely,but remember everything I have said [last year]about testing or lack of testing by HRI and the huge testing by BHA with a certain stable.

antietam wrote: »
    Absolutely,but remember everything I have said [last year]about testing or lack of testing by HRI and the huge testing by BHA with a certain stable.

I'd imagine you'd want to keep your conspiracy theories to yourself and away from boards.ie. I'd say they wouldn't want any lawsuits on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Southern France goes close in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Kew gardens

Lah Ti Dar confirmed as a runner now.
    Frankie has convinced them. She wins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

The Pentagon for me. I have it in a double with Snow Falcon from today so it would be a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Dee ex bee if he comes back to form , would rattle this lot

kiers47 wrote: »
    Lah Ti Dar confirmed as a runner now.
    Frankie has convinced them. She wins it for me.

I will add to this that she is an absolutely attrocious price.
    I was interested in southern France but the run the last day was a big dissapointment and he hasn't budged in price.
    Loxley is a horse that I really like also and I'd be interested in him we're he to turn up. Old Person also looks slightly overpriced

Ive been on about it for a while, but The Pentagon is a huge price here at 33/1 with lads. The 25/1 generally is also great value, I think he has a huge chance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Surely Sting will be backing Southern France tomorrow as a mark of respect to his holiday home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

€200 at 30s Maid Up.
    Supplemented for £50,000, her lifetime earnings are £131,970, someone is rolling the dice.
    Most of her races were fillies only.

15.35 Maid Up Maid Up is very progressive and she will need to be again to win this. She does stay and if she grabbed a place, I would be delighted.

A.Balding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

how far does lah ti dar win by?

I bet Loxley in the end. I like Lah Ti Dar but she is still skinny enough for me I made her a 5/2 shot in my book. I don't like Kew Gardens but I can see why he is where he is in the market.
    I also thought Old Person but I'm worried about the extra 2 furlongs for him.
    8/1 on Loxley I thought was fair and I made him a 6/1 13/2 shot on my side. So small bit of value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

kiers47 wrote: »
    I bet Loxley in the end. I like Lah Ti Dar but she is still skinny enough for me I made her a 5/2 shot in my book. I don't like Keep Gardens but I can see why he is where he is in the market.
    I also thought Old Person but I'm worried about the extra 2 furlongs for him.
    8/1 on Loxley I thought was fair and I made him a 6/1 13/2 shot on my side. So small bit of value there.

13/5 now on matchbook 9/4 elsewhere

hopefully she'll drift a little more

edit, took 13/5

mailburner wrote: »
    13/5 now on matchbook 9/4 elsewhere

hopefully she'll drift a little more

I'd want 3/1 tbh before i considered backing her.

Too Darn Good

Obviously went fir pentagon and a tiny ew on zabriski , Ive a few quid at the ready on Betfair in running if nelson doesn't go mad in front he is s very decent 100/1 shot .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

The Leger and Irish Champion stakes are a bit messy, so I've just had two silly outsider bets at huge prices in both.

Nelson ew @ 100/1 in the Leger because he was my original Leger pick on pedigree at the start of the season and he might just run into a place with the form team O'Brien is in.

Athena at 50/1 in the Champion Stakes because she's better than her last run and not too far off the top fillies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

tryfix wrote: »
    The Leger and Irish Champion stakes are a bit messy, so I've just had two silly outsider bets at huge prices in both.

Nelson ew @ 100/1 in the Leger because he was my original Leger pick on pedigree at the start of the season and he might just run into a place with the form team O'Brien is in.

Athena at 50/1 in the Champion Stakes because she's better than her last run and not too far off the top fillies.
    Athena for me as well, some nice American form being ignored, think conditions here suit it.

Advertisement