Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Netflix make an Irish Original Series.

Options
  • 07-08-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭

I have been wondering for a while now since Netflix are making so many original shows all over the world in there different markets would they ever consider making an Irish series or even co producing one with RTE?

Could they do a Game of Thrones style story form Mythical Ireland?
    or
    Could they get behind a big budget follow up or rebooting to say Love/Hate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I can't really see it happening. Netflix only really do original series in countries with a big population (US, Germany, Spain, Brazil) or where there have already been series released previously that got critical acclaim and attracted worldwide viewers (Denmark). We have neither. Sure Love/Hate was well received but got nowhere near the global viewership of the likes of The Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well more so Ireland is also a major filming location for so many big series over the last few years so the infrastructure is already here to make a blockbuster series.

We also have plenty of talent the only thing really missing is the money men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

They could.

Doesn't mean they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Never know,

Although half of all the recently added selection seems to be Asian or Indian Bollywood films that I will never ever watch.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Never know,

Although half of all the recently added selection seems to be Asian or Indian Bollywood films that I will never ever watch.

Asia is slightly bigger than Ireland.

• Advertisement

Pelvis wrote: »
    Asia is slightly bigger than Ireland.

For the Irish market thpugh, cant be much demand for that bollywood rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

For the Irish market thpugh, cant be much demand for that bollywood rubbish
    They didn't make the movies for the Irish market, but they're there and probably cost a pittance to make them available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Well more so Ireland is also a major filming location for so many big series over the last few years so the infrastructure is already here to make a blockbuster series.

We also have plenty of talent the only thing really missing is the money men.

Netflix's show Nightflyers was filmed in Limerick, so if that's a success and they found filming in the Troy studios agreeable, they'll hopefully be back for more (season 2 and / or possibly film more series there).

Not really an 'Irish' show, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

They made one in the Philippines. Huge population sure but most of them wouldn't be able to afford Netflix and they all use Putlocker style websites to watch movies/TV shows anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Niska wrote: »
    Netflix's show Nightflyers was filmed in Limerick, so if that's a success and they found filming in the Troy studios agreeable, they'll hopefully be back for more (season 2 and / or possibly film more series there).

Not really an 'Irish' show, though.

Not really Netflix either it's a SyFy show Netflix got co producing credits as the bought the worldwide distribution rights for it like they did with the new Star Trek and Better Call Saul.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We already speak the language of most of their original content so there's far less incentive to make one here. Sure there's not much UK-original content either, although you do have "The Crown" as one of their flagship titles.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    They made one in the Philippines. Huge population sure but most of them wouldn't be able to afford Netflix and they all use Putlocker style websites to watch movies/TV shows anyways.
    Did they? There's a show called "Amo" but they just bought international distribution rights, which is a bit of a different thing.

Pelvis wrote: »
    They didn't make the movies for the Irish market, but they're there and probably cost a pittance to make them available.

I think they just throw them in to emphasise the amount of new content

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ireland's too small a market for Netflix to plough money into a solo production, but what could be possible would be a 3rd party studio going into partnership for a joint-production - Netflix then rebadging the show as a "Netflix Original". It does this all the time with shows from other channels (much of the CW and SyFy output gets this slightly false claim) where the arrangement was purely monetary.

Of course, there aren't that many indy studios to begin with that'd have any clout in the first place, and given what a creative blackhole RTÉ currently is, I doubt they'd have the imagination for anything so left-field as an international, joint-production. Something that wasn't a talkshow might blow their minds.

I'm also not convinced that TV & Film in this country has the breadth of imagination to produce something that'd appeal to an international audience: our output is so frequently stunted by its parochial, guilt infused storytelling. Miserable kitchensink dramas with no reach beyond the Irish / British audiences' fondness for downbeat dramas.

'Upwardly Mobile' deserves a Netflix worldwide platform thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ixoy wrote: »
    We already speak the language of most of their original content so there's far less incentive to make one here. Sure there's not much UK-original content either, although you do have "The Crown" as one of their flagship titles.

Did they? There's a show called "Amo" but they just bought international distribution rights, which is a bit of a different thing.

Oh really? Sorry I didn't realise that. Great series all the same.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Oh really? Sorry I didn't realise that. Great series all the same.
    It's one of the many examples of Netflix saying something is a "Netflix Original" when they just bought broadcasting rights. A lot of the "Netflix Originals" are like that. There's a good list here that distinguishes what I see as a true Netflix original ("The Crown", "Stranger Things", "House of Cards", etc) from those that Netflix say is an original but really distribution ("Better Call Saul" , "AMO", etc.). Then there's the bits where it wasn't an original but Netflix came in and financed further seasons making it become a Netflix original ("Lovesick", "Arrested Development", "Travelers", "Lucifer", etc). But bothering to distinguish all of that to the standard viewer doesn't gain them anything.
    For me it's fairly straight forward: If it airs first on Netflix, before anywhere else, it's a true Netflix original.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Reeling in the years on Netflix wouldn't be a bad idea:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Off hand, I can't think of any showrunners or executive producers that have a long track record here, beyond content that's more so for the home audience.

We do have a few strong animation studios, maybe something could come from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Off hand, I can't think of any showrunners or executive producers that have a long track record here, beyond content that's more so for the home audience.

We do have a few strong animation studios, maybe something could come from that.

There's a few big-hitters who could make it happen. Morgan O'Sullivan is the obvious example. He's the Irish producer behind shows like The Tudors and Penny Dreadful and was also instrumental in bringing productions like Vikings and Into the Badlands to these shores.

Roma Downey already has a major series in production with Netflix - Messiah. I could see her looking to create an Irish based series with them in the future.

Element Pictures have worked with Netflix's distribution arm. I am sure they have a couple of projects currently in development with Netflix considering their recent appointments and ambition.

What's interesting about all these producers is that they seem to have given up on working with RTE which tells you everything you need to know about how they view that institution and its drama department.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm also not convinced that TV & Film in this country has the breadth of imagination to produce something that'd appeal to an international audience: our output is so frequently stunted by its parochial, guilt infused storytelling. Miserable kitchensink dramas with no reach beyond the Irish / British audiences' fondness for downbeat dramas.

I don't agree with this. As a few people have mentioned in this thread, Netflix have already picked up a number of Irish films and TV shows. Shows like The Fall, Rebellion and even TG4's An Klondike have been acquired by Netflix. An Klondike is a good example of a home grown show designed to appeal to an international audience. Netflix also bought exclusive worldwide rights to The Siege of Jadotville - it was one of their first feature acquisitions.

So the talent is there in this country, it just isn't nurtured very well by the likes of RTE. Game-changers like Netflix, Amazon, Apple et al might just be the catalyst this country needs to get our stories to a worldwide audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Reeling in the years on Netflix wouldn't be a bad idea:)

What would RTE use then for filler programmes

• Advertisement
Advertisement