Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New york next month reccommendations please

Options
  • 07-08-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am visiting New York for my first time ever just looking for some advice etc? wondering whats the best way to get from JFK to my hotel which is Edison on times square? can i pre book a taxi? Dont want a shuttle as i want get to the hotel quickly. also wondering has anyone used the city pass are they worth it?

Thanks Everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am visiting New York for my first time ever just looking for some advice etc? wondering whats the best way to get from JFK to my hotel which is Edison on times square? can i pre book a taxi? Dont want a shuttle as i want get to the hotel quickly. also wondering has anyone used the city pass are they worth it?

Thanks Everyone.

Licensed taxis available at the airport without prebookung are a fixed $52 fare. Uber will not be much different. I have rarely found that prebooked is any greater value unless you are in a group of 3 or more or have huge amounts of luggage. Driver picks the route on a fixed fare but if it’s your first trip, ask him to take the 59th street bridge rather than the midtown tunnel (much better view).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

a list of a few places that are worth a visit when you’re in NYC. Most are food joints where the food is top notch.

http://mewnyc.com/ Koreatown – best food we ate while in NYC, don’t take reservations and might have a bit of a wait but worth it for sure.

https://momofuku.com/

https://gothamwestmarket.com/ a food market, great places to eat.

http://chelseamarket.com/ Down in the meat packing district, along the highline walk.

http://www.thehighline.org/ old disused rail line that’s been turned into a skygarden and walk….

https://www.ivanramen.com/

https://www.viadellapacenyc.com/ really good Italian place in the East Village, no reservations

https://milkbarstore.com/ does “Cornflake Milk” flavoured ice cream – not to be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

thanks all for the helpful tips and tricks will def check out all the places and places to eat as metnioned thanks so much . did any of ye get a city pass while there?

no, didn't really look into it tbh.

• Advertisement

One other thing any idea what the weather is like in sept still warm etc il pack for all weather just wondering should i be bringing light clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi there
    The last time I was in NYC we got a taxi
    There are set fees. I think it was $50 but this was a good few years back so I expect its gone up quite a bit.
    I would pay this rather than take public transport just for the handiest option when you have luggage etc and arent fully sure where you are going.
    I am also going in Sept this year.
    We have booked a few attractions in advance so the spending money we bring with us is ours to spend on what we like :)

defo taxi sounds like the way to go and after the long flight it seems to be the best option i have the city pass booked so iv that done and the spending money is money i can play around with. would you mind me asking how much money are you bringing yourself and how many days are you going? my first time here so unsure with prices of stuff etc. I will bring enough with me but just a rough estimate would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Have you considered the subway direct from JFK to the Port Authority? Cost a fraction of a taxi fare. E Train takes about 40 mins then a short walk to hotel on Times Square.

Hi Mark no i havnt its my first time to the states and to New York itself so not sure of the process or best ways of getting to/from airport so any of the suggestions are welcome. Does it run frequent from the airport the subway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Hi Mark no i havnt its my first time to the states and to New York itself so not sure of the process or best ways of getting to/from airport so any of the suggestions are welcome. Does it run frequent from the airport the subway?

every 10-15 minutes, no changes. Easy walk from Port Authority to Times Sq

thanks for that il def look into it. as i say havnt been so any tips are welcome and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Have you considered the subway direct from JFK to the Port Authority? Cost a fraction of a taxi fare. E Train takes about 40 mins then a short walk to hotel on Times Square.

Erm what subway? You mean catch the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica station then catch the e train from there to city?

OP get a taxi....unless you love walking and carrying a lot!

thanks - I think i will do a taxi being honest as its safer and will take me directly to where i need to go and have my luggage and not hauling it around . is there taxis available outside the airport someone told me there are some taxi i should avoid? are these not yellow taxis thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

thanks - I think i will do a taxi being honest as its safer and will take me directly to where i need to go and have my luggage and not hauling it around . is there taxis available outside the airport someone told me there are some taxi i should avoid? are these not yellow taxis thanks

Any yellow cab from the official queue. Just don't take one from one of those randomers walking around the terminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

Just back from 4 days there myself with the family (wife and 3 kids).

Came in by car so no help to you for JFK. We did get an Uber to Newark that worked out at about $85, which wasn't bad for 5 people with 5 large suitcases.

Defo recommend the highline and chelsea market.

Times Sq is good at night, quite a buzz, but avoid the dressed up characters who offer to take selfies, they can be aggressive in looking for a tip. Don't eat near Times Sq, its overpriced and crowded.

We didn't take the NYC passes, as the prices they quote aren't entirely accurate. They claim you can get into the various museums for free, but the actual price to enter can be free if you want to. You basically are given a "suggested" price on entry (usually around $23 per person), but you are free to pay whatever you feel is appropriate.

We did the One World Observatory, cost about $180 but well worth it. We didn't have time to do the 9/11 museum (separate entry fee and is a fixed price, not an option to pay whatever you feel). I regret not doing that.

We had a MetroCard that meant subways were $2.75 per trip, just top it up at the ATM like machines in any station (if using a credit card and it asks for a ZIP code, use 99999 and it will work). With the "pay per trip" card, you can just get one card and pass it back to be swiped again if there's 2 or more of you. Kids 11 and under travel for free.
    (there's also a 7 day unlimited metrocard that's about $32, but you cannot swipe this multiple times at the same entry point).

Wasn't that impressed by Macy's etc. Most of the things in the US you can readily get here now. Century 21 down by the World Trade Centre is good value for bags, socks, shirts etc.

While we didn't go out to the outlet centre, we did visit on in New Hampshire, and it was very similar to the one in Kildare, including the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

If you've big bags the subway can be a bit stressful. I got the commuter train from Newark
    Airport across to the Port Authority/Times Square station and subway from Port Authority up to our apartment in Harlem at 5.30 on a Friday evening and it was wedged. Still, 5 odd dollars Vs 30 odd dollars for a taxi/Uber, so was worth it I suppose. Your subway trip from JFK to Times Square would be easier.

In NY itself I'd do the Highline, Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty if you are in any way interested in the history of the city, Caroline's conedy in Hell's Kitchen(usually a recognizable face performing or in the audience) and generally just enjoy having a wander about the city. Tis very safe and usually Police everywhere!

Re the Statue of Liberty, if you just want to see it a bit closer without actually going onto the island, then take the Staten Island Ferry from the bottom of Manhattan, https://www.siferry.com/

The ferry is free, and you get a great view of the Statue from the right hand side of the ferry on the way out, left hand side on the way back. You will hang around at the terminal for only about 15-20 mins for a free return trip, takes about 25 mins for the journey each way.

Also worth doing is walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Take the subway to High Street-Brooklyn Bridge (over on the Brooklyn side) and walk back, great views of the skyline on the walk. Be careful of the bikes though, they can be fairly aggressive, especially on the downhill bit when you start.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

One other thing any idea what the weather is like in sept still warm etc il pack for all weather just wondering should i be bringing light clothes

It's a while since I was in NY in September but it tends to be still quite warm, similar to what we call summer in Ireland if not warmer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Not sure how long your going for but would definitely recommend the weekly metro cars! Once you get a bit of confidence on the subway It really opens up the city and suburbs for you and cuts down on taxi/Uber costs!
    One tip I would give is if you have an unlocked smartphone lying around bring it with you and buy a tourist SIM card package in a mobile phone operator shop! $35. I found this a great help for finding my way around ie having google maps / the subway journey Planner app!
    Enjoy trip
    Anyone visited the 9/11 museum? How long would you need there ?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for all your information very helpful indeed its handy to get tips and tricks from someone who has actually been there before. will take all that on board. will def check out that free ferry do you get the metro there to the point where you can get on the ferry? im sure i will figure it out when there. im staying in times square so i will def avoid there to eat like you said as iv heard from a few prices are crazy.

You can get the Staten Island ferry by taking the subway down to South Ferry Station, its right outside the ferry terminal.

I also second the local SIM card if you have an unlocked phone, data roaming charges are criminal so be careful if on your own phone. There is a NYC wifi network that works but coverage is a bit scatty and its not reliable.

If your phone is unlocked (and you can request this if you're over 5 months into a contract) then I do recommend the T-Mobile tourist SIM, $30 in any T-mobile shop, gives you a few minutes and texts (can't ring Irish number though), and 2Gb of 4G data, speed is then throttled back once you go above 2Gb. It lasts for 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Going to be over here for my 40th birthday next month. Any recommendations for a birthday/night out that won't cost the earth?

great thank you sim card seems like a great option also. one other thing did u just get a taxi from JFK to NYC itself or pre book one from reviews and tips im thinking i will just wait and get a yellow cab outside like people are telling me.

No help on the taxi I'm afraid, we came in by car from New Hampshire and drove into 23rd Street, dropped the bags, drove up to Yankee stadium for Yankees vs Baltimore, dropped off the wife and kids and I brought the car out to Newark to drop it off. (I did get a half hour in at the game as I somehow managed to find free onstreet parking beside Yankee stadium!!)

no problem at all. that sounds brillant going to a yankees game. ha ha defo sounds luck was on your side.

Yellow cab will bring you anywhere in Manhattan for a fixed rate, think its 50 or 60 dollars + a tip. Very important - dont forget the tip, c 20%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Autumn rain.

Advertisement