Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think the exams will be marked?

Options
  • 07-08-2018 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

This year there was a few hurdles,I believe. With maths there was a lot of spelling/word errors. English had the texts in paper 1. I heard biology was a death wish.

How will the spelling mistakes be handled ?? "Find the radius of the confidence interval"
    I'm so curious. I'd love to speak to a marker and ask how these situations are handled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

lildaisy wrote: »
    This year there was a few hurdles,I believe. With maths there was a lot of spelling/word errors. English had the texts in paper 1. I heard biology was a death wish.

How will the spelling mistakes be handled ?? "Find the radius of the confidence interval"
    I'm so curious. I'd love to speak to a marker and ask how these situations are handled

Just another week utill we find out i suppose!!

I dont think the "paper 2 questions" in english paper 1 will be marked too hard the first year. Although, i found those questions really nice and more approachable than a typical Thematic/character question that would usually come up.

Personally, the exam i am most afraid of being marked too hard is the HL Business exam. Teachers and students said the exam was really fair, no surprises and one of the easiest Business exams in years with predictable questions etc.
    Foe this reason, i think the Business exam will be marked tough enough. It worries me because, a large majority of studendts across the country were delighted with the exam, but i was just "happy enough" ( i had a pretty crap teacher for it!!!)

With Maths, im not sure..as all classmates i spoke to that day thought diffently about the maths exams. A teacher did say it was a hard enough exam compared to past years though, so hopefully marking wont be too hard. I didnt notice much spelling mistakes? I was more concentrated on the numbers, but now that you mention "the radius of confidence interval" i remember being caught out on that question? But i still cant see what is wrong with it? Haha!!

Also..i unfortunatley feel that the HL french listening will be marked quite hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will be marked according to the marking scheme.

If there was 2% of candidates got a particular grade this year, there will be roughly 2% achieving that grade again this year.

There is no such thing as easy or hard marking, otherwise the LC would be like fine wine, with some year's H1s or As being 'worth' more than others. It is what the bell curve is for.

Spelling errors will be handled according to the marking scheme. History/Chemistry/Home Ec./(insert subject here) for example are not English or spelling tests. There would only be a certain amount of marks could be lost, if any, for poor spelling, unless the spelling was so bad that the intended word could not be understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lildaisy

Just another week utill we find out i suppose!!

I dont think the "paper 2 questions" in english paper 1 will be marked too hard the first year. Although, i found those questions really nice and more approachable than a typical Thematic/character question that would usually come up.

Personally, the exam i am most afraid of being marked too hard is the HL Business exam. Teachers and students said the exam was really fair, no surprises and one of the easiest Business exams in years with predictable questions etc.
    Foe this reason, i think the Business exam will be marked tough enough. It worries me because, a large majority of studendts across the country were delighted with the exam, but i was just "happy enough" ( i had a pretty crap teacher for it!!!)

With Maths, im not sure..as all classmates i spoke to that day thought diffently about the maths exams. A teacher did say it was a hard enough exam compared to past years though, so hopefully marking wont be too hard. I didnt notice much spelling mistakes? I was more concentrated on the numbers, but now that you mention "the radius of confidence interval" i remember being caught out on that question? But i still cant see what is wrong with it? Haha!!

Also..i unfortunatley feel that the HL french listening will be marked quite hard.

True its not long away!

I don't take business but i did hear some friends of mine call it a nice exam, but long? apparently?

With maths its supposed to be "range" not "radius" . I'm an easy caught up student. (cant even look through the whole exam paper before i begin. I take each Q one after the other) the "radius" freaked me out haha .

Yeah i found the french to be alright to be honest. I heard german was a whole mess. Fights? or something?

-EDIT-

I know with french they put a wrong tense in one of the writing exercises. But our examiner told us before the exam started.
    spurious wrote: »
    They will be marked according to the marking scheme.

If there was 2% of candidates got a particular grade this year, there will be roughly 2% achieving that grade again this year.

There is no such thing as easy or hard marking, otherwise the LC would be like fine wine, with some year's H1s or As being 'worth' more than others. It is what the bell curve is for.

Spelling errors will be handled according to the marking scheme. History/Chemistry/Home Ec./(insert subject here) for example are not English or spelling tests. There would only be a certain amount of marks could be lost, if any, for poor spelling, unless the spelling was so bad that the intended word could not be understood.

Ah very well put, thank you for explaining!

True its not long away!

I don't take business but i did hear some friends of mine call it a nice exam, but long? apparently?

With maths its supposed to be "range" not "radius" . I'm an easy caught up student. (cant even look through the whole exam paper before i begin. I take each Q one after the other) the "radius" freaked me out haha .

Yeah i found the french to be alright to be honest. I heard german was a whole mess. Fights? or something?

-EDIT-

I know with french they put a wrong tense in one of the writing exercises. But our examiner told us before the exam started.

Ahhh...i knew Radius didnt sound right,but i just assumed it was right and i just didnt know!!

Dont know about German and i agree with the french being a handy enough exam. Didnt know about the mistake in that though.

Can't wait to have a look through some after results.

Ahhh...i knew Radius didnt sound right,but i just assumed it was right and i just didnt know!!

Dont know about German and i agree with the french being a handy enough exam. Didnt know about the mistake in that though.

Can't wait to have a look through some after results.
    Yeah it was just a slight tense mistake I doubt it would have stirred much. Totally off topic, how would I go about looking at my exams? You mentioned looking through some.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was just a slight tense mistake I doubt it would have stirred much. Totally off topic, how would I go about looking at my exams? You mentioned looking through some.

You should get the information on how to view in the envalope with your results. There will be 3 (i think) viewing sessions on in your school where you can have a look through your marks.

You should get the information on how to view in the envalope with your results. There will be 3 (i think) viewing sessions on in your school where you can have a look through your marks.

ok thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fluffypanda

I’m hopeful that Biology will be marked nicely. The short questions & experiments were wonderful but those long questions have brought me down to a H4 I reckon. It was my worst exam by far. History wasn’t great either, I reckon my mocks exam went better.

I just want to get my results, good or bad

I’m hopeful that Biology will be marked nicely. The short questions & experiments were wonderful but those long questions have brought me down to a H4 I reckon. It was my worst exam by far. History wasn’t great either, I reckon my mocks exam went better.

I just want to get my results, good or bad

Part of me wants the results another part of me doesnt want to see them haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

No it's not supposed to be range. There was no mistake in the maths paper AFAIK. (And this isn't a mistake anyway.) The radius of a confidence interval is half its width. So, if a confidence interval is, say, 25 to 31, (in other words, 28 plus or minus 3,) then its radius is 3.
    "radius of a confidence interval" is a common term. "Range of a confidence interval" is not.

• Advertisement

No it's not supposed to be range. There was no mistake in the maths paper AFAIK. (And this isn't a mistake anyway.) The radius of a confidence interval is half its width. So, if a confidence interval is, say, 25 to 31, (in other words, 28 plus or minus 3,) then its radius is 3.
    "radius of a confidence interval" is a common term. "Range of a confidence interval" is not.

I was told that another school was made aware that this was a typo and indeed not "radius"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I was told that another school was made aware that this was a typo and indeed not "radius"

I know nothing about maths but there is a mix up here and either the superintendent in the other school interpreted the paper incorrectly and gave information to students which he/she should not have done or your superintendent did not check the list of errors booklet prior to the exam.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I was told ...
    No offence to you at all, Daisy, but so many Chinese whispers go around about this sort of thing, and they're often quite unfounded or arise due to misunderstanding along the chain.

Advertisement